S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

ERL Race NA Motor Complete

Old 07-07-2006, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ERL Race NA Motor Complete

First of I wana give credit to the guys that help make this possible. 1# ERL Performance. The product and machine work that they provide is the best I have ever seen. Thats alot Sean for your time and effort. Also I would like to thank Art at TrackMasters in Huntsville AL. He did alot of the assembling and did all the Tuning to make this setup work. Thanks for everything art.

Hey everyone, its been awhile since I posted about my Motor build up. Its been a up and down road to get everything correct but now we have seemed to get there. I did a build up kinda like the 2.5L NA motor from Inline pro. I went with a tad lower compression and a lower displacement engine ( 2.1L). I did tho deside to go with the TWM 52MM Throttle Bodies. I wanted a Motor that could rev 10,500 rpm an d still make power up there. Right now my camshafts will limit me in overall Top end power. So a new cam with be done ocne we can baseline this and collect some data. The car being tuned right now and I will hopefull have results very soon. I am hoping for 260-270whp on the stock cams with really good midrange power as well. In the end I might be making some comprsesion changes and most def a new piston that will have the clearance in the valve pockets to make sure the new cams I will test will have plenty of clearance. Its nice to see people getting of into the hardcore NA rebuilds, and I hope that mine sheds some light into what can be done NA.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your car is SICK!!!
Old 07-07-2006, 03:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

best of luck in the build. i'll be keeping an eye out for the results. I think inline hit around 260whp with theirs and they have higher compression and the 2.5(which probably gives them the torque advantage over yours), but f you can hit 260 then I'm in for a set-up
Old 07-07-2006, 03:39 PM

Congratulations now we ha 3 shops with NA built engines;

Inline pro 260whp 2.5L
Ballistic Motorspors 280 whp 2.1L
ERL Race 260-270whp? 2.1L

It is a shame that I live to far from you, only a small ocean between us

good luck
Old 07-07-2006, 06:56 PM

Good luck! NA is awesome
Old 07-07-2006, 08:14 PM

Balistic ? What kinda setup were they running. All of us 2.1 guys are using the stock F20 crank but using a 89mm bore. So I assume they sleeved the motor. My question is what kinda compression did they run and what camshafts were used. Also did they use Itbs. Im very interested to see where the itbs are going to make the biggest gain. From what I understand and have read midrange improves the most. I would assume the biggest gains should be made in the mid-high end range. Basicly for us NA guys, Top end power over 280whp would have to be done with the right cams. If balistic was able to get 280whp out of a motor was it with aftermarket cams. I know the K series are hitting 300whp+ Na with some bad ass cams. What do we use, and who has actually tested them. The options at the moment are a custom cam or something from Toda ( Spec C) . I would to swap some info around with the other NA guys here to see what the best combo on pump gas is going to be. I will be sure to keep everyone informed.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:40 PM

sorry I mispelled it is Ballistic Motorsports in New England

Erl I do not know such much details PM Twiztid it is the engine builder

As far as I know the car is running stock mainfold and Super Sprint Exhaust, dual exit

good luck with the project

Juan
Old 07-08-2006, 12:06 AM

ok. My first thought were of course to be able to run the car on 93 octane pump gas with a good amount of timing. I chose 12.0:1 for that reason. Honestly I would have gone Higher But I wanted to flirt with Nitrous. I figured there couldnt be any better of a powerband than a high hp NA on spray. So Running anything higher than 12:0:1 would have made it very very hard to do. Its still going to be tough to do because of the high compression. Plans on a methanol injection kit with be used with nitrous in the future to control knock. So I figured I could get about 375whp on spray. This would make for a very very fast car and still be able to use the NA power.

As of this evening, Idle and part throttle tuning was done. Car is idling very well and we are starting to get the part throttle mapped good. Right now we are running into some bog issues under WOT. As you know tuning throtte bodies is a real pain. Looks like it could be sometihng in the Accel Fuel tables. Tomorrow Hopefull we can complete tuning and I will be able to post some numbers to see where we stand.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:31 AM

ERL

you should not have any problem with 12:1 cr remember that the JDM runs 11.7:1 CR and some owners uses the Spoon Headgasked to bump the CR to 11.9:1.

Nitrous???? is your car going to be showed in Fast & Furious 4?
Old 07-08-2006, 01:09 AM

Who knows! haha nah, I feel that nitrous is the best power adder. I can keep a full NA setup with awsome NA hp. Then you have times where you just want more power and the way to do it is with nitrous. The car mostly Will be a track car, but I want the option to be able to have another 100hp on tap if I need it. Plus A direct port nitrous system on a car with itbs, thats just nasty

Quick Reply: ERL Race NA Motor Complete