S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Engine Seized... Resolved!

Old 05-22-2001, 05:45 AM
cde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I thought I'd post the conclusion to my engine seizing story. On Friday, May 11th, I drove back down to NJ to pick up the car. So far (put on about 1200 miles with the new engine) its running great. So the engine was fixed with no cost to me. I didn't get any of the extra perks I wanted (extended warranty), but I'll just shop around to see who can give me a good deal. Maybe Colin can, once I get to Hawaii?

A couple things I've noticed:
When I first picked up the car, May 15th, 2000, I was conservative about breaking in the car for the first 1000 miles. I thought the car was great then, but then once I learned to use the 6K-9K RPM range, well then that was truly awesome. Well after getting the engine replaced, I had to redo the break in period. For all who lthought the break in was hard the first time, imagine being used to using VTEC and then not being able to. If you don't believe me, just try driving the next 100 miles, keeping the RPMs under 6K. RPM Range seems so small in comparison. It's tough. But I made it through, so once again I'm back to enjoying the melodious noise of our sweet engines.

Next thing is all the stares I get. I live on the Navy base, so imagine instead of being the envy of your block (as most of you are), being the envy the 10K+ people you live around and work with. Then you figure the Navy base, in particular a submarine base, is at least 80% (feels more like 95%) male, maybe half are 17-21 year old guys (not that the older guys don't point and stare also). So that is really cool, I love talking about the car to whoever is interested.

Bad part of all the attention is that cops are interested in the car also. This last Sunday on the Garden State parkway, I passed by a cop doing maybe 65 (I had a feeling a cop was coming up, lucky guess). He pulls out and follows me. Slowly passed me on the left, I think he just wanted to check out the car. So he settles in at around 70. I just stay about 50 yards behind him and one lane over. After a couple of minutes, he slows down, I figure he's done looking and is gonna pulll a U-turn or pull off to wait for speeders. He pulls behind me and turns on his lights. He said I was pacing him at 70 in a 55 and that's why he pulled me over. First of all 70 MPH on the GSP on a Sunday afternoon is the flow of traffic, for the slow drivers. That really pissed me off. Plus I've always felt, if a cop car doesn't have his lights on, he isn't allowed to speed, just like anybody else in a normal car (I could be wrong about this, anybody know?). So by staying behind him, I should be all set, that's what I've done in the past with no problem. Well he just ended up giving me a warning, I still figure he just wanted to check out the inside of the car. He could have been much cooler about it and I would have been happy to tell him about the car. So after I pulled back out, I tried keeping it at 65, ended up getting passed left and right; at 70, I'm still getting passed by everybody. So I stayed restrained for the next 30 miles, but then it just got frustrating, and I went back to my normal driving. So another reason to get a radar detector, looking for a good price on a Valentine One.

S2000 mods: this last weekend, washed my car twice and waxed it. Also got around to installing the dead pedal, clear side markers, and Muz Mat. Rick's aeroscreen and the Mingster's x-brace are still waiting to be installed. So far everything has been really easy. I actually got a lot of satisfaction from the simple installs, and am now looking at doing something bigger. Speaker replacements (either Sony 1621's or Kenwood KFC-RS400) and Rick's Custom S badges (once he gets the ordering up on the website).

Well now I'm just rambling, so I'll wrap it up. The good part of the whole engine seizing ordeal was finding this board. Taught me a lot I didn't know about the car and for that I'm thankful, especially to S2Klisa, Barry and Rowland and everybody else who chimed in with advice on how to resolve my problem with Honda. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2001, 05:52 AM

Nice post cde. Welcome back to VTECland!
Old 05-22-2001, 06:24 AM
Rex

CDE,

Yours was the one with the loose oil filter? Did they ever determine cause/fault, or did they just settle? If I missed a thread that mentioned the resolution just point me to it.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2001, 07:21 AM
cde

Not a loose oil filter, they claimed the filter was damaged during installation which caused a crease and a pinhole leak.

I'm not sure how much further investigating they did while they were taking apart the engine.
Old 05-22-2001, 09:54 AM

I'm glad Honda came thru for you...
Old 05-22-2001, 10:36 AM

Hey Chris,

I'm glad you've gotten everything taken care of and I'm just sorry you had to stress so much because of it. Yes, we can look into a service agreement later, but I've personally held off since they all seem to exclude leaky tops and this is is one of my largest concerns.

If you're moving out here soon, don't wast your money on a V1, cops here use laser! Vigilence and knowing where they are likely to be is your best defense (that and watch your mirrors) See you soon.
Old 05-22-2001, 11:19 AM

". Plus I've always felt, if a cop car doesn't have his lights on, he isn't allowed to speed, just like anybody else in a normal car (I could be wrong about this, anybody know?)."

I think if they are pacing someone (hadn't heard of them doing it from the front before) they can exceed the limit, otherwise they would never be able to pace any speeders. Saw it once on cops, they were trying to pace a car and a lady was tailgating them so they went ahead and puller her over instead and she went nuts because she was going the same speed as them. I forget if they finally had to haul her in or if she just left with a warning but she was yelling at them like crazy.

Back in high school we lived about a mile down the road from a highway patrolman and I was heading home one day and he was infront of me on a really curvey road so I let him get just about out of sight and stayed that distance behind him. Just as I'd round a corner he'd disappear around the next corner, then for a couple of corners I didn't see him at all (shoulda been a clue) and then I rounded the next to the instant on alert on my radar detector doing 45 in a 35 zone. It always griped me that I was doing the same speed he was, but he just gave me a warning (when I opened my wallet to get my licence out the first picture in it was his daughter) He told her that I was the only person with a radar detector that he had ever let off with a warning. Ahh to be young and stupid again, I used to race his daughter to school in the mornings and would rev the engine as I went by their house. She said he'd just cringe when I did that. (well that was long and off topic... sorry)

-Trevor
Old 05-22-2001, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Colin:
If you're moving out here soon, don't wast your money on a V1, cops here use laser!
I thought V1 detected laser as well as the other typical radar bands.
Old 05-22-2001, 11:25 AM

"I thought V1 detected laser as well as the other typical radar bands."

Anyone ever have any experience with picking up laser warnings? Do any of the detectors pick it up in enough time to slow down? Last I heard the laser covers too small of an area for prewarnings like the radar bouncing around.

-Trevor
Old 05-22-2001, 11:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

amartin has the V1 and a separate laser detector. personally, I've only seen the laser go off a few times, but it was all false - it was on the back roads beeping off of John David's car, no idea why. Just a fluke I guess.

Quick Reply: Engine Seized... Resolved!