S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Engine has seized, any help?

Old 04-02-2001, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been following your story and I had one thought. If worse comes to worst, couldn't you claim it on your insurance not as a collision but as vandelism. Your insurance guy has already told you that he belives the problem is from a incorrectly installed filter.

If the first dealer refuses to pay explain that you will instead file the claim as vandelism (a comprehensive claim instead of collision claim).

Just a thought
Old 04-03-2001, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ChitownS2k
At about 4000 miles my car started making a knocking noise...

they replaced my engine no problem... without any sort of definitive answer as to what exactly was wrong with it..maybe a cracked rod, but.. .those were ok...

maybe a bent valve.. but no.... they didnt know what else to check and just replaced it..

my theory is the oil pickup in the pan doesnt get enough oil when you rail that thing around the corners, and then the 4th cylinder gets scuffed and beat up...

--

where do i find the number on my car?
We would love to know more details about your engine replacement. When did you buy the car? When did you have the engine replaced? Did you ever have low oil? Did you have the "tap tap tap" sound before the replacement?

Check out this thread for NINE others with engine failures. I've added yours to the bottom of the list.

http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...p?threadid=8051

The serial number we use here is the last four numbers of the VIN#. You can find it on the left front of the dash. You read it through the windshield.

I agree with you about the problem perhaps being due to difficulty oiling the #4 cylinder. Honda must be finding out. Possibly we will find out too.

[Edited by Barry WY Silver/Black '01 on 04-03-2001 at 10:25 AM]
Old 04-04-2001, 03:21 PM
cde

Here's what I've been up to:
When I came into work on Tuesday, my insurance rep had already faxed me a copy of his write up that he was sending to the home office. Basically, it pointed the blame to Academy Honda, the dealership who performed the oil change. I faxed that to Academy. Actually, I called them first, made sure they knew it was coming, asked him what he thought. He said he'd look at it, but he was standing to his story that they were not responsible.

Knowing the fax wasn't really going to change anything, I called the BBB Autoline to file a complaint. The national BBB only deals with the manufacturers, so they only handle manufacturer defects. And since I still believe that the #4 cylinder could be the root cause of the problem and I want Honda to investigate further, I did file the complaint.

And since the oil filter is a possibility for the cause of the problems, and the dealership refuses to accept responsibility, I also filed a complaint with the local BBB against that dealership. So I was steppin' it up a level.

Later that afternoon, I receive a call from someone at Honda Consumer Affairs. So received the complaint file with the BBB. She was also familiar with the case because she was the first individual I talked with, when I called the Honda Customer Hotline. At that time, she told me to get the district service manager involved, which was the correct first step. She was very helpful, and she had already talked to the service manager at David Michael Honda. I think she was really able to understand my frustration with the car and this situation and she was able to empathize. She said she would talk to her supervisor about the situation and get back to me.

I talked to her this morning and she said she talked to the people at Academy Honda and they said they were waiting for my fax. So I called Academy, asked if they received my fax. They said yes and they still stand by the story. So I told them that the other people who looked at the car are all pointing towards them, they are denying fault, is the insurance company now involved. He said no, because no action as been taken against them. So they are sticking to their guns, doing nothing, and when a complaint is filed, then the insurance company will become involved. So much for great customer service.

I called the lady back at Honda Customer Hotline, told her what they said. I could tell she was disappointed (obviously not as much as me, but I could tell she cared). She said she would get back to me. I once again had to ask about the relationship between AHM and their dealerships. If AHM is saying they are not responsible and they are pointing the blame at one of their dealers, and the dealer will not accept responsibility, will AHM ever pick up any of that responisibility for the action of one of it dealers. I can't remember her exact words, but the impression I got was that Honda would, as a last resort. Basically I think AHM will make sure the customer is satisfied in the end. So now I wait to see how AHM and/or the district service manager will pressure the dealership to do the right thing.

I'm not at this point yet, but this is where I will be by next week, using the argument: if Honda believes the dealership is at fault and they will pressure the dealership to do the right thing (pay for repairs and compensation), why not just have Honda pay for the repairs and then pressure the dealership to pay them back. I can see why two companies might not want to do that, but when one is a major corporation and has power over the other company, the risk of not getting the money back should be small.

So for right now, I am happy that I have (or I feel I have) Honda's customer service (or at least one rep from) on my side. I am willing to be patient to see what she can do for me. However, by next week, if no progress is made, or no end is in sight, I will have to step it up again. Probably starting from the top instead, a la S2klisa.

Til then,
Chris

PS- In an attempt to remain possitive and keep my wishful thinking, I have started by more accessories (dead pedal, and roof well mat). Looking into the aeroscreen and stereo mods, as well. I also bought the S2000 book to tie over my Stook withdrawl. Pretty sweet stuff.
Old 04-04-2001, 03:47 PM

Received 5,700 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Chris, keep the pressure on for a QUICK resolution. There is nothing to be gained by being patient. When you're stuck in the middle of a finger pointing mess, as you are, document everything and keep pushing buttons - everyone's waiting for the other guy to fold, and hoping their problem or involvement will be resolved. IMHO, at this point unless American Honda steps in immediately in your behalf, this will drag out for a long time. Feel for ya' man.
Old 04-04-2001, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cde
[B]In an attempt to remain positive and keep my wishful thinking, I have started by more accessories (dead pedal, and roof well mat).
Old 04-04-2001, 06:33 PM

cde,

Good news! Atleast things seem to be better than a day or two ago. Keep up the pressure, I would call AHM sooner just to show your concern. Kind of reminder your waiting and you are without your S2000. Please keep us posted, and I hope that AHM will pull through for you.
Old 04-04-2001, 06:38 PM
cde

Spa2k-
Thanks for the input. Diary is definitely a good idea. I can already tell I'm getting confused just retelling the story about what has happened this week and the order of different phone calls.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 04-04-2001, 06:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

cde, sure wish there was something we could do for you. Based upon the facts you have presented it is very hard to disagree with the conclusions of the pros, the dealership that changed the filter is responsible and should work with AHM to get you back on the road. I hope you have a breakthrough very soon. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2001, 06:51 PM

cde,
all you have to do to get their ins. co. involved is to send a claim letter by certified mail. They then must forward it to the ins. co. or risk violating the terms of their policy and being uninsured when you do sue.
Old 04-04-2001, 06:56 PM

and one other thing, you should also send a claim letter to american honda, they will be named in your suit and their ins. will also be involved and put pressure on the dealership's ins. co do the right thing. You should not further delay putting them on written notice of your claim, warning that if they do not provide ins. info., you will have no alternative but to seek appropriate judicial relief without further notice.

Quick Reply: Engine has seized, any help?