S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Engine has seized, any help?

Old 03-27-2001, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cde,

Barry has put alot of work into compiling information and getting things so that the picture is clear. (GREAT job Barry!) I would also start climbing the AHM food chain and let them know you do not believe that this is your fought and use the information from the board. Do not forget to keep the last 4 of the VIN handy of the other 8 or 9 S2000 while speaking to them. Some dealers are quick to point the finger in the wrong direction by lack of knowledge about the S2000 technology. AHM has been good about assessing the problems and taking care of the Honda customers, that is the point about owning a Honda.

If you need to email some of us feel free. Do you know the Regional Managers name? Is it Pete ????

Be reasonable, but take a stand to insure that the conclusion is correct. Hopefully the Insurance Rep will help.

Goodluck, please let us know how things are working out. We share your pain and concern.
Old 03-27-2001, 06:13 PM
cde

Rowland-
The regional manager? Is he above the district service manager? The disctrict service manager's name I was given is Joe Gresh.

Do you know someone who might be a higher level?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 03-30-2001, 04:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cde,

Here's a photo I took for you of the oil filter viewed from underneath.

I took the photo yesterday while Wade R and I were working on installing my X-brace and then my hard top. When I told Wade about your engine's failure and the dealer's theory that it was caused by a damaged oil filter, Wade didn't say anything, but rolled his eyes.

It is hard to tell from the picture, but the oil filter is very recessed and protected. I find it hard to believe that debris could have gotten up into this recess to damage your filter enough to cause a leak leading to engine seizure.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1316...9069&p=45161290

Barry
Old 03-30-2001, 05:16 AM

Chris,

I'm so sorry to hear about this problem you are having.

BTW, the oil filter is your property. If they 'dispose' of it without your consent, this is theft. As it is part of a fundamental component of your car, could this be considered Grand Theft?

The dealer cannot under any means dispose of that filter without your prior consent. I believe State Law allows for protection of car parts that need to be replaced. You have the right to inspect the part before they can even THINK about ditching it.

[b]Give Ron Bolz a call at 1-888-4LEMONS.[b] Tell him that Simon Richards sent you, and explain your story to him. He's a great attorney. Even if he can't help you, he'll recommend a good attorney that can. He got my 2000 Corvette bought back due to Lemon Law just this February, and I didn't have to pay him a cent. Great guy, great company!!

It seems that you 'may' be able to go Lemon Law (if available in your state) as your car is under 1 year old.

Don't give up....someone other than you should be paying for this.

Good luck!
Old 03-30-2001, 05:46 AM

cde,
As you probably know NJ has some of the toughest Consumer Protection Laws in the US. That is a big time advantage of your's and make sure you go to the web and look some of that up. I use to work (regional manager) for a company that dealt in NJ and the consumer is right and it is up to the company to prove otherwise. Be a hardass consumer.

Goodluck!
Old 03-31-2001, 02:15 PM
cde

I took a look at the car and oil filter, in particular, today (and took some pictures, but I don't have a digital camera, so it'll take a while for me to post them). There was a slight crease on the side of the oil filter. Also, looked like a dried drip of oil. That is where they thought the hole might be. I didn't see any other damage on the oil filter or around it (which would have made me think it was a rock or road debris).

Other than touching the crease (very slight), I didn't want to touch anything else, so that way the insurance rep (hopefully the car expert and my advocate) could see the way the car was. I did check the dip stick and it was empty.

The service manager and technician were reluctant to hear any other theories about what happened to the car. They pretty much had their mind set. I asked to see the spark plugs. Once again they were relucant. They did not want to do any work until the insurance guy and the district service manager had a chance to look at it, which I understood.

What is supposed to happen on Monday, is the district guy will look at it, and also call the original dealership. Then he should give me a call. My insurance rep will also look at the car on Monday and make his determination. It would be nice if this resolved itself, but I'm getting ready to go throught he regoinal manager and the BBB.

I'll keep you all updated on how it goes Monday. Thanks for all the advice and info.

Chris
Old 03-31-2001, 03:39 PM

cde,

Good luck with this and I really mean it!

Here's hoping that the people making the "final decision" will rely upon expert, unbiased technical input in doing so.
Old 03-31-2001, 03:56 PM

cde
relax...a little........and good luck. I'm sure it will work out for you....STAY TOUGH!
Mark
01#0090
Old 03-31-2001, 04:30 PM

cde,
I do not know about this, but I bet the district manager does not meet with the insurance rep and then more time will go by. I hope for your sake that they all look at the car together and come up with the solution. It sounds as though you cannot be there, that is to bad as well, I think I would want be.

If you need the national BBB telephone number that does arbitration with aotomakers drop me note and I will send it ASAP. A BBB national complaint will put some presuure on AHM and bring the attention to your problem at the highest in AHM, Torrence, CA.

Best of luck, I really hope that all works out for you and they get you baby back on the road soon.
Old 03-31-2001, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cde
[B]There was a slight crease on the side of the oil filter.

Quick Reply: Engine has seized, any help?