S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Engine blown

Old 05-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RED MX5,May 13 2007, 06:36 AM
I agree, and all the fussing at the guy because some think his driving habits caused this is just wrong.

What on earth could you do to a stock car to make the engine turn a bearing, other than depriving it of sufficient clean oil at a reasonable pressure?
I think somebody just wanted to be a complete jerk and took it out in this thread.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark_Sub_Rosa,May 13 2007, 10:42 PM
I think somebody just wanted to be a complete jerk and took it out in this thread.
I think some of the guys just don't approve of the way the guy treats his car, and believe that by making an example out of him they'll be helping others. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone has posted just to be a jerk. However, I don't think the turned bearing has anything to do with the way the car was driven, and beating on a guy with a broken car just doesn't seem very nice to me. Karma can be a real bitch.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,May 13 2007, 11:20 PM
I think some of the guys just don't approve of the way the guy treats his car, and believe that by making an example out of him they'll be helping others. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone has posted just to be a jerk. However, I don't think the turned bearing has anything to do with the way the car was driven, and beating on a guy with a broken car just doesn't seem very nice to me. Karma can be a real bitch.
The reason I called out the OP was that his tone in this thread and professed astonishment at what happened to his car are at complete odds with his prior statements in other threads. I did not post to be a jerk, I posted because I am tired of people not taking responsibility for their actions.

He posts and says that his engine blew up while he was "just driving along" yet when we search his threads we find post after post describing in detail how he appears to beat on his car ALL the time. Dozens of drag strip launches, high-rpm clutch drops, aggressive driving on a cold motor, are all spelled out for everyone to see.

But as I said in prior posts, what concerns me more is that if he is willing to write about all of this on a public message board, what this do you think he has done that he *hasn't* written about? Missed shifts? Missed oil level checks? Missed oil changes?

Is it that far of a stretch of logic that the same person who thinks it is a good idea to engage in triple-digit races on public streets on a regular basis, also doesn't have the best judgement when it comes to the care of his car? If he has little to no regard for his own or anyone else's safety, is it that *that* hard to imagine that he has little regard for his car's safety? He has already admitted that he cared poorly for his previous cars. Guess what, old habits die hard.

As for RedMX5's posts regarding wear...for the most part I agree, operating a motor within its design parameters (i.e. between 0 RPM and redline) *shouldn't* cause a mechanical failure. Driving at high RPMS and aggresive driving on a cold motor certainly don't help, though. How long does it take of bouncing off the rev limiter for something to go wrong? Every mechanical device has it's breaking point, and consistent use at the high end of the parameters (and probably a bit beyond) makes that breaking point come sooner. A slight ovverrev here, a late oil change there, hitting the rev limiter over and over again, it all adds up. Was there any one event that triggered the failure? Only darksigma and God know. But even if there isn't, I think we have enough circumstantial evidence to surmise what happened. And when we put all of the circumstantial evidence together...we get a quack that sounds a lot like a duck.

As for "beating on a guy with a broken car", you can shove it. I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for someone who regularly endangers innocent motorists just to prove to the Mustang driver in the next lane that his wang isn't small. Karma IS a bitch, and I think the OP just discovered that.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:03 PM

Old 05-13-2007, 09:13 PM
dmz

Why do some people just want to kick some while they are down to just make themselve feel better about themselves? GTI, are you really this pathetic? Get a life instead of spending your time in digging these post. For what purpouse? You probably spent a good 15 minutes or more searching for all these posts. What did you gain out of this? This is just sad.
Furthermore, I looked at all the post that GTI quoted and didn't see one thing the guy did that could have contributed in blowing up his motor. All those things falls within the spec of what the s2000 was designed to do.

To the OP. I hope Honda fixes up the car for you. Hopefully you also learn something in this. Posting abiut doing irresponsible act in a public road will not get you too much sympathy. Peace.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:19 PM

The car is capable of that kind of driving yes. However it has been clearly stated that it has been driven hard on cold oil and thats just what has been told. I believe the ENTIRE point of Gti's thread was just to point out how annoying it is when someone who obviously abused it would get any sort of help from the dealer. When people who do take care of the car get denied claims because of people like the OP.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by GTI 20v,May 13 2007, 11:50 PM
The reason I called out the OP was that his tone in this thread and professed astonishment at what happened to his car are at complete odds with his prior statements in other threads. I did not post to be a jerk, I posted because I am tired of people not taking responsibility for their actions.

He posts and says that his engine blew up while he was "just driving along" yet when we search his threads we find post after post describing in detail how he appears to beat on his car ALL the time. Dozens of drag strip launches, high-rpm clutch drops, aggressive driving on a cold motor, are all spelled out for everyone to see.

But as I said in prior posts, what concerns me more is that if he is willing to write about all of this on a public message board, what this do you think he has done that he *hasn't* written about? Missed shifts? Missed oil level checks? Missed oil changes?

Is it that far of a stretch of logic that the same person who thinks it is a good idea to engage in triple-digit races on public streets on a regular basis, also doesn't have the best judgement when it comes to the care of his car? If he has little to no regard for his own or anyone else's safety, is it that *that* hard to imagine that he has little regard for his car's safety? He has already admitted that he cared poorly for his previous cars. Guess what, old habits die hard.

As for RedMX5's posts regarding wear...for the most part I agree, operating a motor within its design parameters (i.e. between 0 RPM and redline) *shouldn't* cause a mechanical failure. Driving at high RPMS and aggresive driving on a cold motor certainly don't help, though. How long does it take of bouncing off the rev limiter for something to go wrong? Every mechanical device has it's breaking point, and consistent use at the high end of the parameters (and probably a bit beyond) makes that breaking point come sooner. A slight ovverrev here, a late oil change there, hitting the rev limiter over and over again, it all adds up. Was there any one event that triggered the failure? Only darksigma and God know. But even if there isn't, I think we have enough circumstantial evidence to surmise what happened. And when we put all of the circumstantial evidence together...we get a quack that sounds a lot like a duck.

As for "beating on a guy with a broken car", you can shove it. I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for someone who regularly endangers innocent motorists just to prove to the Mustang driver in the next lane that his wang isn't small. Karma IS a bitch, and I think the OP just discovered that.
You're probably right, because your reasoning is logical enough, but I don't know the actual situation and think it's better to give others the benefit of any doubt. I've suggested that rather than a cold rev limiter the car should deploy the air bag if the driver tries to run it hard before it's properly warmed up (in jest of course), but I don't approve of abusing the car any more than anyone else. I just don't know for a fact how this guys takes care of or drives the car and I won't make assumptions about him based on circumstantial information. As you pointed out, he may do worse things and not talk about them, but for that matter, how do we know he's not telling us that he's doing stuff he doesn't actually do? If he's being dishonest (somehting else I wouldn't assume) then he could be lying either way, right?

If he had cracked retainers, had destroyed the clutch, transmission, differential, or other parts that are likely to suffer when the car is abused (by harsh driving) then I might see it a little differently, but this just isn't the kind of thing that we see from rough handling. It's more likely the result of a lubrication at the bearing, which *might* indicate that the car was driven without sufficient oil in the crankcase, but we can't really know that the guy doesn't check his oil level. Blaiming him for this type of failure when I don't actually know that he caused the failure would be wrong.

Even if the guy did tear the car up because he's stupid I still don't feel the need to kick him when he's down. He knows whether or not he contributed to the failure and he's already having to pay a price for his mistakes, so I don't feel any need to add to his grief. If he's stupid, then rather than hating him for it, I just feel sorry for him and hope he's learned something. Anyone who wants to beat him up over it certainly has a right to do so, since he started the discussion, but that's not what I'm going to do. I'd rather see Karma as my friend.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Suzukuh,May 14 2007, 12:19 AM
The car is capable of that kind of driving yes. However it has been clearly stated that it has been driven hard on cold oil and thats just what has been told. I believe the ENTIRE point of Gti's thread was just to point out how annoying it is when someone who obviously abused it would get any sort of help from the dealer. When people who do take care of the car get denied claims because of people like the OP.
Well, I certainly agree that anyone who drives the car hard and breaks it has no business crying to their dealer or complaining about the reliability of their car. If you play you need to step up and pay when the time comes, and trying to dump it on someone else is just ain't right. Yea, I absolutely agree.

I also agree that there is evidance of abuse here, and it's good to point that out, but I'm still not going to pass judgement on the guy, because I don't have anything conclusive. I'd rather be nice to 100 complete idiots who have destroyed their cars than be rude to one guy who was having problems through no fault of his own. I know I'll make mistakes, but I'd rather err on the side of the innocent.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:12 PM

^ I do see what you are saying and I am doing my best not to just jump on the bandwagon and accuse him of anything like that. However it seems likely it just wasnt taken care of to well. But for all I know that could have been done before he bought the freakin' car. I suppose only he knows however you would think he would have at least thought about defending it instead of editing every post including this one. :shrugs: Oh well I just wanted to put my .02 in.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by SilverKnight,May 14 2007, 12:03 AM
LOL, you know me man, always sticking up for the underdog.

Quick Reply: Engine blown