S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Encourage higher fuel efficiency

Old 11-18-2005, 10:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Encourage higher fuel efficiency

I get these action alerts from New American Dream and thought I'd pass this one along... You may disagree with the "theory of climate change" (if so, just edit that bit out of the letter), but reducing or eliminating our oil dependence is something everyone can agree on (I hope). Please take a moment to fire off a letter to the DOT, encouraging them to adopt higher fuel efficiency standards.

Thanks for considering it.

While thousands of New Dreamers are pushing automakers to deliver efficient vehicles as a first step toward reducing U.S. oil dependence and stabilizing the climate, our federal government is poised to adopt multi-tiered fuel economy standards that perversely could encourage automakers to make larger, less efficient vehicles. American ingenuity and innovation are needed to meet the challenges of oil dependence and climate change, yet these proposed standards fall far short of even our current technological capability. Worst of all, the largest SUVs, such as Hummers and Ford Excursions, would be completely exempt of all fuel economy standards! You know, those things that try to run us over on the highway and in parking lots? Some S2000 owners may own or drive these, as well - wouldn't you prefer if they were more efficient?

Monday is the last day of the public comment period. Please take action today to tell National Highway Transportation Safety Administrator Jeffrey Runge to reject this loophole-riddled proposal and require all passenger cars and light trucks to significantly improve their fuel economy, thereby saving consumers money at the pump, reducing American oil dependence, and taking a needed step toward stabilizing the climate.

Two clicks to take action: http://capwiz.com/newdream/mail/oneclick_c...alertid=8255396