S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Electronic Dash/Gauges...Good or Bad???

Old 08-17-2001, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I don't like the digital instruments.

I find the tachometer much harder to read than a simple needle. My eyes are good at detecting a combination of position and angle of the needle, but the S2000 tach just has a position and when there are a lot of other things to pay attention to (i.e., I'm trying to go fast), that's not enough to make it easy to read.

I have mixed feelings about the digital speedometer. The fuel gauge is fine. The temperature gauge may as well read "cold", "okay", and "hot" (with maybe two cold settings).

I have two other complaints with the instruments.

1) I wear polarized prescription sunglasses when it's bright out (99% of the time I drive the car) and they reduce the brightness of the instruments unless I tilt my head slightly to the right. You would think Honda could have aligned the liquid crystal display to be exactly aligned to the angle used by all polarized sunglasses.

2) When I turn the lights on in the daytime I have to hold the "+" button in for several seconds before it's bright enough to see at all. I always turn the lights on when driving on 2-lane roads, so this is a minor annoyance. Real gauges with needles would not require any adjustments.

Still, the S2000 is such a fantastic car that I'm willing to overlook a few minor flaws like the digital instrument panel. These things give the car character.
Old 08-17-2001, 07:14 AM

One bad thing about the bar-shaped tach is that it sweeps too wide from left to right. There's not a central place where you can just glance at like with the traditional needle tach. This is especially true during spirited driving. But like I said, it probably just takes some time to get used to.

/Rog
Old 08-17-2001, 07:15 AM

I love the digital dash. It always gives an exact readout of tach and speed - whereas analog always seems to be "somewhere around xxx revs or mph". The digital dash is also a feature that never fails to impress my passengers - especially when they watch the tach zooms so quickly across the power band.

The funny thing is, I just hate digital watches. If you asked me the time, 10 seconds after I looked at the readout, I couldn't tell you without looking at the watch again, whereas with an analog, I can always tell you exactly (what the time is), without looking at the watch again.
Old 08-17-2001, 07:19 AM

Other then spoon, Does anyone else make a digital dash Alternative for the Stook. I saw another digital one on TV in a GT2 Integra. It was all digital with the RPM Digital readout like the S "above all other gauges" The largest display was What "Gear" you were in, and the speed was asmaller display on the right. That is what I want. By the way, ours have amber or red display with black background, This one had Gray background and black display. Like a Casio watch.
Old 08-17-2001, 07:19 AM

I really think the digital dash is pretty cool, the tach does go the full lenght of the dash, kinda, but you learn where the revs are by listening to the engine.....I think it is really pretty easy to read.
Old 08-17-2001, 07:23 AM

Even though it's sometimes hard to see the tach, but I still like the digital gauges.
Old 08-17-2001, 10:22 AM

The digital dash is great. I think the tach is much easier to read in the S2K than in my other car. The tach even blinks on and off, when you've gone over redline.
Old 08-17-2001, 01:05 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I love the S2000's dash, and I now can't stand it when I'm in a vehicle with only needle instrumentation.