S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Elda Engineering SCCA approved rollbar installed

Old 09-24-2003, 06:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seats or roll bar? The roll bar is $699.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick, the powdercoated bar looks very nice. Absolutely love the harnesses too.

Can anyone comment on the difference in structural rigidity between a bar that is welded to the frame and one that is bolted in? I am trying to find a solution for my needs. Can the Elda bar be permanently welded in?
Old 09-24-2003, 07:32 PM

Wow, that looks great. I'm not usually too fond of the roll bar with the roll hoops look. However, the Elda bar installs really clean, it almost looks factory.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:59 PM

That looks really good. Definitely one to put on my wishlist.

How much fore-aft seat movement do you lose?
Old 09-24-2003, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by S2kRob
How much fore-aft seat movement do you lose?
With stock seats, none unless you put the harness eyebolts into the stock seatbelt receptacle on the left-hand side. In which case, you lose 1-2 clicks. I imagine that is not an issue with aftermarket seats (assuming they're thinner).
Old 09-24-2003, 08:30 PM
Banned

Not a chance in hell of me fitting in there! It looks like you lost at least 6 in. of seat travel. I have the seat all the way back now. There is no way a "normal size" person could live with that thing. (No offense to you little guys )
Old 09-24-2003, 08:36 PM

very nice. so the stock metal hoops are removed?
Old 09-24-2003, 09:03 PM

GChambers, there is very little seat travel lost, and with proper planning and a little extra work, you can easily make that no travel lost.

TriaXenginE, the stock roll hoops are retained. Only a little bit of the plastic cover surrounding them is trimmed away.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:01 PM

WOW! I missed this whole thread until someone called today to order a bar and mentioned it.

I am glad many like the bar. We certainly hope to deliver a good bar. The biggest problem with the bar was we did not want to give up any seat travel while meeting SCCA guidelines. The fore/aft brace had to be a minimum of 30 degrees. from vertical. The issue with that is there was no room!

Long story short, we finally found one angle that met SCCA requirements for fore/aft bracing and allowed us to keep the stock hoops (you need them for the seat belt to work), also keep all your seat travel.

Lastly, this is more of a personal preference. Having installed several roll bars on rx-7's I had some biases on what is a good design and what is not, also being an architect helped . There is always the simple solution of making a track only bar, ie not accommodating streetability and tossing out any thing that gets in the way for the bar. It's also easy to make a street bar, ie using smaller tubing such as 1.5", when SCCA specify for 1.75" for the weight of the car. But it was unacceptable to have such a compromise.

I assume most people are like me, they work, have a social life of some kind (no details please ) but every now and then attend a track event. So it's not enough for the bar to be techincally acceptable, but it has to look good too. Comfort is just as important too, afterall if you're not comfortable how can you concentrate on your driving?

Basically the setup it has to work at the track, but look good when the car is parked in front of the Ritz Carlton. I am also married, which means if my wife is uncomfortable in the passenger seat, it better not be because of the bar Hence the removable diagonal brace and harness bar for more room and access to the top storage compartment.

Hope this helps clarify some of our thoughts. It took us 5 bars and 2 years before we felt happy with the design.

One final note just to make sure there is no confusion or misrepresentation, this bar is NOT SCCA APPROVED, its SCCA Spec ! SCCA do not approve anthing, they only outline specifications of materials, wall thickness, design parameters to work within and other details, such as attachment points, hardware specs...etc. Its up to the builder to design and consult with SCCA. We consulted with them over many problems we ran into. We're very grateful for all the help we received from SCCA, we certainly owe the folks in Colorado a big thank you.

cheers

W
Old 09-25-2003, 04:44 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Is it possible to get more info on how much of the roll-hoops need to be trimmed? I have the s-pod speakers in my roll-hoops, and am not sure how that would be affected by this bar.

Also, how difficult is it for an owner to install this bar themselvs? I am pretty mechanically inclined, but would like a template to cut plastic with.

If I run the stock seats, can I run a full harness?

Quick Reply: Elda Engineering SCCA approved rollbar installed