S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Elastic top straps covered under warranty?

Old 10-03-2011, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elastic top straps covered under warranty?

Has anybody had luck getting the elastic top straps replaced by the dealer under warranty? I just purchased the Modifry straps but before I install them (and cut the OEM straps) I was wondering if I should see if the dealer would replace the straps under warranty, or if I'm better off just doing the Modifry fix anyways. Anybody have experience with this?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:14 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Nope, they wanted to replace the whole top, where I covered half the costs Granted, the bar had started to wear a pin sized hole in the top too.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:54 PM

Yes, I recently had mine replaced under warranty. Just told them that the top would not retract all the way on occasion and that I thought there was a tsb on the straps. They were able to duplicate and replaced them with no questions asked. It may be worth noting that I am still under the full 3yr/36k mi warranty period, but you shouldn't have a problem beyond the bumper to bumper period with the tsb out there.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:58 PM

Hmm... I may give it a try then. I am still under the bumper to bumper certified used warranty right now.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are under the certified warranty, they should replace it. Double check the paper work/booklet you got with the warranty. I had them replace a latch under CPO warranty. They will not fix or replace your actual top, but they will replace mechanical and electrical items. They will probably replace the straps as they are part of the mechanical system.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:02 AM

I got a rather large laugh out of this thread, because I misread the title. Why, I wondered, would S2000 owners be concerned with 'elastic jockstraps?' For the record, my 9 1/2 year old elastic topstrap is a bit stretched but seems to cause no problems.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Gh0ztt
Has anybody had luck getting the elastic top straps replaced by the dealer under warranty? I just purchased the Modifry straps but before I install them (and cut the OEM straps) I was wondering if I should see if the dealer would replace the straps under warranty, or if I'm better off just doing the Modifry fix anyways. Anybody have experience with this?
Better off with modifry straps. Much better than the weaker straps and only took me about 10 minutes with the top half backa nd being very careful with a razorblade to remove the old ones. If they are worn it will not always drop all the way down and fold up correctly which could cause other damage.

IF you feel a sharp edge on the "7" shaped bar on the top right side it would be a good time to knock the edge off if you havent already.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by hkspwrsche
Originally Posted by Gh0ztt' timestamp='1317690322' post='21036434
Better off with modifry straps. Much better than the weaker straps and only took me about 10 minutes with the top half backa nd being very careful with a razorblade to remove the old ones. If they are worn it will not always drop all the way down and fold up correctly which could cause other damage.

IF you feel a sharp edge on the "7" shaped bar on the top right side it would be a good time to knock the edge off if you havent already.
Another + for the Modifry straps. Insanely easy and fast replacement.

Oh, and only like $20
Old 10-04-2011, 06:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

just get the modifry straps, i think they were like $20 when i bought mine
Old 10-04-2011, 07:21 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Easy install too.

Quick Reply: Elastic top straps covered under warranty?