S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

ecu tuning..got mad gains stock?

Old 10-23-2006, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Oct 21 2006, 04:31 PM
My understanding of this subject is the stock ECU is tuned with quite a bit of headroom (i.e., conservatively) to allow for varying gas mixtures and of course for long engine life.

Despite the 9K redline (extreme, some would say) of the F20 engine, it's been shown that this headroom exists by many tuners out there.

Technically, it's true that the pre-MY06 ECUs can't be reprogrammed, but that doesn't stop the tuners from using one of two techniques: pre-processing or post-processing. Pre-processing is where you mess with the input signals to the ECU. Post-processing is where you mess with the output signals.

Both techniques are effective, and don't require ECU changes.

Hope this helps.

both AP1s and AP2s can see great gains with tuning alone, early AP1's will see the most improvement over stock because it runs so damn rich from the factory.....

with a good piggyback like Greddy ult emanage. just tuning alone will yield atleast 10 WHP and trq. throughout the entire powerband.....

if you wanna get really serious go the route wildcardtrd went and get the AEM EMS.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcardtrd,Oct 21 2006, 10:37 AM
I have no idea what other s2k's get on this dyno. My dyno is on a mustang, which reads lower than a dynojet. I was originally disappointed with my baseline as well, until a few experience members on here told me not to worry, that my number is about right for the mustang dyno.
Here's the rub. There is no doubting YOU got 22 whp from tuning but that doesn't mean ANYONE can get 22 whp. Not all cars start out the same. You started lower than average so a big chunk of what you got was just to get you to baseline. I got 201whp stock, 205 with a VAFC. Extrapolating that's 19whp more than you started with so 22+ with an AEM gets you 208, 3 more than I got with conservative VAFC settings.

In other words, if you dyno your car for a baseline and you get less than about 195 then you need an ECU to get you to where you should be (you are getting robbed). Once you get to a normal level (196-202 allowing for calibration) then you can measure +/- from there. Saying you got 22whp is deceptive because to someone else it might only mean 5 or 6. What you get out of the box is entirely random. You can't assume that everyone starts out the same and that gains are shared equally by everyone.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:37 PM

Has the GReddy Emanage system been out long enough for any long or short term problems to arise?

thanks,

Frank
Old 10-23-2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by cthree,Oct 23 2006, 06:25 PM
Here's the rub. There is no doubting YOU got 22 whp from tuning but that doesn't mean ANYONE can get 22 whp. Not all cars start out the same. You started lower than average so a big chunk of what you got was just to get you to baseline. I got 201whp stock, 205 with a VAFC. Extrapolating that's 19whp more than you started with so 22+ with an AEM gets you 208, 3 more than I got with conservative VAFC settings.

In other words, if you dyno your car for a baseline and you get less than about 195 then you need an ECU to get you to where you should be (you are getting robbed). Once you get to a normal level (196-202 allowing for calibration) then you can measure +/- from there. Saying you got 22whp is deceptive because to someone else it might only mean 5 or 6. What you get out of the box is entirely random. You can't assume that everyone starts out the same and that gains are shared equally by everyone.
Mustang Dyno gives about 5% less read out than Dyno jet. So his 208 WHP is about 220 WHP on dyno jet. You can only compare #s on the same type of dyno and same calculation formula (SAE, STD, Japanese Standard, etc.)

Hope this help
Old 10-23-2006, 09:32 PM

My car dynoed at 206 rwhp bone stock.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:33 PM

I've seen many dynos for the S. They are not random at all. If the spec is the same, using the same dyno, same CF, and similar condition then the readout will be very close.

Also, the ecu only retune itself during partial throttle. At WOT, the ecu goes into "closed loop" which are all the same for any S (of that same year).

cthree Your 205whp is with stock timing and conservative fuel cure. If you use EMS that allow you to tune the timing (@ each specific RPM) and be a bit more aggressive on AFR. Your gain will be much more substantial like in the case of wildcardtrd.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cthree,Oct 23 2006, 10:25 PM

I see where the point that you are trying to make, and I am aware that I had better than normal results. My point is that ECU tuning does make a major difference, whether someone's car is being "robbed" from factory, or outputting typical numbers. Anyway you look at it, MY car benefitted greatly from an ECU tune, and I wanted to relay that information along. For all he knows, he's being "robbed" too.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pawan,Oct 24 2006, 01:33 AM
I've seen many dynos for the S. They are not random at all. If the spec is the same, using the same dyno, same CF, and similar condition then the readout will be very close.

Also, the ecu only retune itself during partial throttle. At WOT, the ecu goes into "closed loop" which are all the same for any S (of that same year).

cthree Your 205whp is with stock timing and conservative fuel cure. If you use EMS that allow you to tune the timing (@ each specific RPM) and be a bit more aggressive on AFR. Your gain will be much more substantial like in the case of wildcardtrd.
Yep, once 2rwerks started modifying my timing maps, that's when the car started making serious power.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:00 AM

OK, so what's the least expensive way (read: is there a way to "tune" w/out a stand-alone system) to tune. So basically people are tweaking the AF throughout along with activating the v-tec at what rpm?

Please don't flame, still learning!!

Thanks
Old 10-24-2006, 08:08 AM

You make power with timing, not so much with afr's. Comparing a V-AFC to a AEM EMS is like apples to oranges.

Quick Reply: ecu tuning..got mad gains stock?