S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Easy touch up of paint chips?

Old 06-26-2002, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my S2K for a month, and already I've got about three paint chips down to the metal and one scratch. (I drive on a crappy highway with many trucks and messy construction on the way to work.)

I know I should touch up the damage, and I have scrutinized the many posts on s2ki on this topic.

Unfortunately, folks generally seem to suggest a time-and-materials-intensive process of washing, prepping, painting, sanding, painting, fixing, sanding, buffing, polishing, rewashing, re-Zainoing, etc.

I'm sure that process is the absolute best way to go. However, is there an easier, simpler, maybe not-so-perfect way to fix chips that is still acceptable?

I want to protect the car from rust, I want it to look good, but I'd rather not spend two days and many hours fixing all of the damage if I don't absolutely have to.

For example, could I strip away the Zaino with some rubbing alcohol, use an Autosharp pen (or toothpick and dealer paint) to fill in the nick, polish the area and be done with it? Or is that gonna look lousy? What else do I REALLY need to do?

Also, I've seen some references to sanding the area after filling in the nick with paint. I'm a novice at this, and the idea of applying sandpaper to my car scares the heck out of me. What does "wet sanding" mean -- literally wetting the sandpaper with water before using it? How fine a paper do you need to use?

I saw some mention of a product called Langka that seems to make it much easier to do chip repair -- no sanding required. Does it really work?

I'd appreciate any advice from folks who have tried the quick-and-dirty touchup approach. I'm absolutely new at this--my old car was so cheap I didn't bother to do touchup at all.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:56 PM

you could also call up a professional to get rid of your chips... that i believe would be the best choice.
if you do it yourself it tends to look even uglier... well atleast for me.
Old 06-27-2002, 04:15 AM

I tried Langka and it did not work well. I would recommend you call a local paintless dent repair place. They usually can also touch up (with paint) a small chip for $35-$65.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:17 AM

I've had some luck fixing road chips with the dealer touch-up paint using a super fine artist's brush... Sometimes it takes a couple of applications to fill... I let it dry a few days before buffing... Then I buf the hell out of it with Scratch Out... I thing any polishing compound safe for clear-coat will work... Takes a little effort but the end result is worth it...
Old 06-27-2002, 10:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

[/i]This should work right][/i]... I did a search on "touch up pen" as a number of members have mentioned its good qualities. See the link below (which should be a link to the search and therefore you should have a number of threads to review on subject). If the link does not work, click "adv" in upper right of screen next to "search" and then type "touch up pen" in search/subject window. Good luck.

touch up pen
Old 06-27-2002, 12:11 PM

Its called the Autosharp pen. It is the same paint as the dealers touch-up paint, but it applies better with the pen.
Old 06-27-2002, 02:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

i have yet 2 try a product by turtle wax called "Color Cure" that i bought. it has a touchup pen "chipstick" of a wax like product in various general pupose color shades. you apply this to the nick to fill it and then buff there included colored polish over it. sounds simple and is a pretty cheap experiment. The one i bought for $8 looks a pretty good match for the suzuka blue.
Old 06-27-2002, 04:21 PM

Rick Hesel had some good luck using an airbrush kit. He just masked off the area and carefully airbrushed paint onto it. He wrote up a post on his experience.