S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Is it that easy to lose your rear?

Old 01-17-2004, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it that easy to lose your rear?

Hi I've been reading this forum for a while now and I'm really concerned about losing the rear because it frequently comes up on posts. I have been driving an integra which is a FF for about 9 years now. and Im thinking about getting a s2k pretty soon. Is it really hard to drive a FR?

thanx for your info~
drive safe
Old 01-17-2004, 01:55 AM

It's different and you should get in some practice in a parking lot, auto-x, or driver school to get used to the differences before driving too quickly.

Basically if you come into a corner too hot, letting go the throttle will push weight forward and cause the rear to slide out. It's much better to start the corner with a slower entry speed and get on the throttle during the corner to accelerate out onto the straight. Slow in, fast out.

It's quite important to keep the rear end settled when you'
re driving fast on road or track. Bumps and other imperfections can quickly get that rear to step out if you don't watch out. It's a good idea to keep some amount of throttle at all times during a corner to thrust some weight onto the rear to keep it in line.

A misshift or badly matched downshift can cause the car to jerk and that could be enough for the rear to slip, especially in a corner. This gets much more dangerous in the wet. If you haven't yet, practice learning heel-toe downshifting in your current car to prevent these kinds of problems with the S.

Since you're sitting pretty far back in the car, you're situated closer to the rear axle and you'll be able to feel what the rear is doing more. This is important to watch out for, so you can make corrections appropriately.

Once you start to get the hang of it, the thrill is great, but keep on your learner's mentality or your overconfidence could end up hurting you badly.

Good luck!
///Robin
Old 01-17-2004, 03:58 AM

thanx for your advice and tips Robin!!!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2004, 04:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it is.
Watch your tires. Don't drive on summer tires when it is cold. Don't drive on worn out rear tires when there is the slightest chance of moisture. Don't hot dog through turns.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:19 AM

I've been driving my '01 since November of 2000, put 20,000 miles on it, never once has my back end switched with the front. With good tread on the tires and with the thermometer above 50 or so, this car sticks like glue. Has the back ever "stepped out?" Of course, that's part of the fun of rear drive. But knowing how far to push and under what road conditions is crucial to driving this car. Most of the accidents you read about here are young men who are new to rear drive, and tend to have more testosterone than common sense. If you still feel the need to prove something about your manhood while driving, this car isn't for you until you're more mature, plain and simple. I know I wasn't old enough for this car until my mid-twenties, but looking back it's easy for me to see that now. Back then I didn't have the wisdom. If you get one, treat it with respect and it will reward you like no other car can.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:28 AM

In cold weather on summer tires the rear can go all over the place. Negotiating this winter has been quite a challenge and I'm proud of myself for having done the right thing & borrowed cars when I knew it was too dangerous.

On the other hand I've become an immeasurably better driver due to the almost daily slips and slides... I feel comfortable drifting the car in the direction I want it to go, particularly the idea of "rear wheel steering."
Old 01-17-2004, 04:39 PM

It's not as much hard as it is different.

Having the rear slide around can be lots of fun provided you're in control. Be advised that once the spin occurs there's nothing left to do but to put the clutch in and apply the brakes. You will eventually come to a natural stop (2 seconds will feel like an eternity).

Tires do make a difference in cold and inclement weather and I swear by my Khumo Ectas. I've been driven them on Ice, Sleet, Slush and light snow and the traction's equal to the best all season radials.

Of course, reasonableness and common sense is to be utilized at all times under these conditions. Only a fool would drag race around in this type of weather on an open road w/ traffic. There's always a limit to your tires adhesions no matter how good they are.

When I "play" in these conditions, I do so only in a huge vacant space or empty road w/out risk of smashing my car into anything or anyone. It can definitely familiarize you to the limits and potentials of your car's performance.

Safety is foremost and fun is a very close second!
Old 01-17-2004, 09:03 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xmugens2kx
Hi I've been reading this forum for a while now and I'm really concerned about losing the rear because it frequently comes up on posts. I have been driving an integra which is a FF for about 9 years now. and Im thinking about getting a s2k pretty soon. Is it really hard to drive a FR?
Old 01-17-2004, 09:45 PM
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barry WY Silver/Black '01
Yes it is.
Watch your tires.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:33 AM

I believe any rear wheel drive can come around from an inexperience driver. The S2000 is no exception but in dry it okay just watch out when it gets near water. It almost like night and day. But overall I haven't had the rear come around unless I want to.

Quick Reply: Is it that easy to lose your rear?