S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

"Dually" s2000

Old 10-23-2004, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up "Dually" s2000

Just wondering if anyone has considered the possibility of adding a couple extra wheels on both axles? Obviously this would be hard.. suspension and other things have to be considered.. would make a heck of a sleeper though. Handling would be outstanding, as well as braking possiblities. Would also make one of the safest winter cars on the road. =)

Be gentle with me. =)
Old 10-23-2004, 02:39 PM

why?
have you seen real duallys? the width on those tires are about 3/4 of ours. so it's really like adding .5 of a tire. would look really ugly too since you're not a truck. you want to add extra tires on all 4 wheels? are you alright with sports car that looks like a truck? or a car that looks like it's rolling on air?

never thought about it.
it would just flat out be too ugly
Old 10-23-2004, 06:01 PM

Well I wasn't too concerned about looks as it would be mostly hidden by the car, and as for wheels I didn't mean quite like a truck, but real wheels. If this were done I'm sure the person would want as wide of wheels as could be managed or else it would be a moot point like you said. There would of course be a lot of modification to the car, but I think it would be merited if the added traction was substantial. I didn't quite mean like a truck, but just the basic concept adapted for performance in a sports car.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:06 PM

why don't you just get wider rims
Old 10-23-2004, 06:24 PM

Well after a certain point you have to get into custom wheels and tires (a continuing expense rather than a one-time.. granted you'll have to pay double for tires each time anyway but I would think custom tires that size would be far past that) and have to modify your car anyway or you have your wheels sticking out the sides. I'm not a fan of the later as it ruins the image of the car for me. Another thing is that perhaps with seperate wheels, you can pick where you want the second one to be (not necessarily both wheels right next to each other) and maybe reduce the amount of modification needed (suspension, etc). Like I said it's under the car so I'm not concerned about looks there. People might be confused by your tiretracks through the snow though. Just was wondering if anyone else had looked into this.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-23-2004, 07:54 PM

Narrow the rear end and tub it and put some Mickey Thompson meats on it like a Pro Streeter. THAT would be the way to go. No space between the dual rims means more tire to the ground. Then get a roots type blower to stick up out of the hood. Paint it flat black, Road Warrior style. I'm scared just thinking about it.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:05 PM

I dont know what you are smoking, but it's some good stuff. pass em' ova!
Old 10-24-2004, 03:01 AM

I guess he has a night time job in a glue factory and is sniffin' 4 free
Old 10-24-2004, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by joecoons,Oct 23 2004, 05:29 PM
Just wondering if anyone has considered the possibility of adding a couple extra wheels on both axles? Obviously this would be hard.. suspension and other things have to be considered.. would make a heck of a sleeper though. Handling would be outstanding, as well as braking possiblities. Would also make one of the safest winter cars on the road. =)

Be gentle with me. =)
The car would not handle better, nor would the brakes work any better. In fact, both would be a great deal worse. Also, with the additional weight of all the modifications required to the drive train, suspension, steering system, etc.. to accommodate the duals, the car would be a slug. So, now we're talking about an engine swap to compensate for the weight, a transmission swap to handle the higher output of the engine, and a new differential and its associated suspension parts as well. I've done a number of engine and transmission swaps in other vehicles and just for grins I've looked at trying it on my S. It would require some MAJOR mods to almost the entire vehicle. I've made a rough estimate of $25K in costs and approximately a year to complete the work in my spare time to do the job correctly. In the end, I would have a car that had none of the original car's characteristics and wouldn't be good for much other than straight line racing and bragging rights. When the cost of the original car is factored in, I would have spent close to $60K. I could build ~four Cobra kit cars from scratch for about that price.
Was that gentle enough for you?

Dean

Quick Reply: "Dually" s2000