S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

a drunk smashed my S

Old 02-20-2007, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a drunk smashed my S

Last Friday night, while I was working a drunk smashed into my parked S2000. One of my coworkers heard the crash, stopped the guy from driving off, called the police and found me.

My beautiful car is at the body shop now. $11,000 in damage and I won't get it back for another 3 or 4 weeks. The police hauled the guy off before I could talk to him but they gave me the report number. My insurance co will know soon if he had insurance or if my insurance is covering the damage under uninsured motorist.

I've only had small claims before. Any advice on how to handle this would be a big help. This car is my baby and I plan to keep it for years.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:15 PM

wow 11,000 dollars in damage, any pic of the car? sucks that you got hit like when its parked! GL with everything

Hipopkboy
Old 02-20-2007, 09:20 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Just let your insurance company handle things. It sounds like you've already got the car at a body shop, so before any work begins, I'd find out if that body shop is any good and what kinds of parts the insurance company want to get to replace damaged parts on your car - always push for OEM new instead of used, and even though you'll want your car back asap, don't accept it if any of the work is not done up to par - make them fix it properly..
Old 02-20-2007, 09:22 PM

First off let me say that I am very sorry to hear about that.......

I had an 01 Red GSR Integra before I got my S2000. It was parked outside my house and a old man smashed into it with a moving truck 4 days after I got it...I paid close to 15K for the car. Anyway my point in telling you this is that the damge was 6K and my insurance company told me they could fix it. I fought with them for 2 Weeks telling them I wanted the car to be totaled out because I did not feel that it was safe. There was minor fame damage that could have been repaired but I expressed my concerns to the body shop that was going to do the work as well. To make a long story short they finaly gave it to me and totaled the car. I had GAP insurance so the GSR got paid off....It boosted my credit because the loan was paid off and I was able to get the S2000. I am not saying you will be able to buy a brand new car but if you push for it to get totaled you will be able to get yourself into another S2000 without any damage if your car is worth enough. Since the price of S2000 have been going down maybe you can look into buying a Supercharged or turbocharged one for around the same price from a forum member or from a dealer.....Good luck with everything keep us posted-John
Old 02-20-2007, 09:39 PM

ouch man im sorry to hear that. if that were to happen to me id probably just lose it
Old 02-21-2007, 09:26 PM

I've been taking great care of this car. Synthetic oil every 5,000 miles; zaino on the paint; raggtop on the top. Anyway I'd rather have this car, if it can be fixed correctly. The body shop seems very professional. The owner gave me a tour. They are using OEM parts. The front end is off a 2005 (like mine) that still had the dealer prices on it.

I'm going through withdrawals because I can't drive the S.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear. I feel for ya as I am in a similar situation (no drunk thankfully).
Best of luck. I have no specific advice though. Seems that 11k worth of damage would be pretty major to even WANT it back...for me anyway

Old 02-22-2007, 12:33 AM

11k its salvage to me. I would get full value of the car for whats it worth from his insurance or get yourself a lawyer. Bent frame = bad

also insurance company will look out for themselves first and foremost, so get your money and get another S. repairs are never the same as originals.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:30 AM

That sucks, but I know the feeling.
The first day I drove my new 06 350Z it was parked and someone hit the rear of the car. About $2K in damage. No note or anything so my insurance had to pick it up. People suck.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get a lawyer and sue him for mental anguishment.

Quick Reply: a drunk smashed my S