S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Drove my 1st S2K today...WOW!!

Old 06-14-2003, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove my 1st S2K today...WOW!!

Well, we got a chance to drive a 03 S2K at the dealership today all I can say is im sold. I have never really seen anybody get on them so I dont really ever see their potential, but I was very impressed. The only thing lacking is obvious (not enough torque) then again im coming from my turbo MR2 which made awesome torque early. I know the S2000 was made for corners as was my MR2 but having driven them both I would have to say the S2K can easily outhandle the MR2. I got to drive it without a salesman with me so I got to feel its potential (unlike my wife who drove with the saleman) lol...he told her to not take it over 6k rpm...lucky he didnt see me

Anyways I love the way it handles, power is pretty good and we have always loved the looks. Can't wait to finally get our, it wont be soon enough.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:36 PM

I'm glad you enjoyed the car; however, it's too bad you weren't aware of damage that may have been caused by you going above 6K RPM. There is a reason the car is not to go over 5500 RPM for the first 600 miles. It's so it can assist the breaking in of the engine.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:43 PM

Actually it had 2K miles on it already. Beleive me I know (from experience with my MR2) that a motor is supposed to be babied for the first 1000 miles or so. Anyways yes it was fun and it makes me want one even more
Old 06-14-2003, 06:47 PM

Well good for you. It is kind of a neat experience when you hit VTEC, huh?
Old 06-14-2003, 06:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would keep the MR2 Turbo personally, it is really nice. So far the S gets a from me.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:05 PM

Well, as much as I would love to keep the MR2T, I just have to admit having a car that actually spends more time on the road then the bed of a tow truck.....the S has my vote. Let me just say this, my husband and I bought my MR2 with 130K on it July 10, 2001. It now has 133k on the clock and is almost 2 years later. Yeah, I need a car with a warranty

BTW, if you want any info on it, check out my site in my siggy (or click here... MadPowaz). This is another reason why I will not do any engine mods other then I/E on the S. I still have an 87 MR2 to play on the auto-x track with, but the S will be my daily.
Old 06-14-2003, 09:53 PM

Quik,

You sound like me! I had a '88 MR2 Supercharged and replaced it with a '93 Turbo, and then replaced that with the '00 S2000. The '93 was stock, but the '88 had the old HKS "off road" exhaust with "pre silencer" that looked suspiciously like a real catalytic converter. I also had the Power Flow intake and overdrive pully for the SC. I loved both cars but the S2000 is so much better than both it's difficult to describe. Curiously, I miss the older '88 more than the Turbo. I guess the old addage "it's more fun to go fast in a slow car, than to go slow in a fast car" is so true!
Old 06-14-2003, 10:03 PM
Banned

Wait a minute! In one post, you referred to your wife, then in the other, you said "...my husband and I...". Which one are you--the husband or the wife? Or both?

Yep, the S is all about handling, baby. It may not be the fastest or most powerful, but sure is the best handling car on the road. Period!

Good luck in buying it!
Old 06-14-2003, 10:15 PM

LMAO...well, get used to it I hate having to switch screen names so we just both post under the same name. We had to get seperate names on the MR2 board even though we were both super mods, and it just gets to be a PITA to switch. So in short, we are both

Colin, yeah, we had bought our 91 in 2001 and never got more then 3k miles out of it. They are really cars that dont like mods much. We have invested over $35k in it and it still didnt run longer then 20 mins, so it had to go. As for my 87, I'm just keeping it stock other then the suspension. Bought it with a blown motor and did the swap. This is gonna be what gets me to work and back until I get the S
Old 06-15-2003, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by DarioManfretti
I'm glad you enjoyed the car; however, it's too bad you weren't aware of damage that may have been caused by you going above 6K RPM. There is a reason the car is not to go over 5500 RPM for the first 600 miles. It's so it can assist the breaking in of the engine.
For this reason I wouldn't recommend anybody buying an S2K from Dublin Honda in California. The Berlina black already had 120 test-driven miles and the salesman encouraged me to VTEC it! I will admit though, that hitting the VTEC range really sold me on the car. Just definitely not that car. Probably a calculated risk they take, knowing that over 6K is where people really fall in love with S2000s, and maybe they can offload the one they've let people abuse on somebody who'll be absorbing the maintenance costs. But not to me, no way. I'm getting one fresh off the truck, with plastic on the panels and such.

Quick Reply: Drove my 1st S2K today...WOW!!