S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

driving tips

Old 07-02-2007, 09:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J's_Racer,Jun 30 2007, 02:58 PM
do you pull the e-brake or such?
e-brake? You want to be a AWD rally car driver or a FWD drifter?

No seriously, either take a performance driving school (they are fun) or read some books (Going Faster, Speed Secrets, etc.) or do both.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my two cents, I do not think it was posted yet...

The twitchyness of S2000's are greatly exaggerated... If you go too hot into a corner and simply lift and brake, you MIGHT lose the back... but most of the time you'll be okay.

However... If you lift/brake and immediately give it throttle w/o being smooth, you will be proper screwed.

This info is probably really obvious... but just in case
Old 07-02-2007, 10:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jack.tsu,Jul 2 2007, 10:21 AM
The twitchyness of S2000's are greatly exaggerated...
Yes and no.

Part of the problem is that most S2000 drivers are like me, and owned some FWD car before buying the S2000. So we don't have RWD experience, and the S2000 will really bite you if you try to drive it like a FWD car.

However, beyond that, the S2000 is really hard to save once it gets out of shape -- moreso than most RWD cars. So it deserves some of its reputation.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No matter what we tell you, or what you know, if you get in over your head and panic, you're going to respond a certain way. The trick is to find a safe way to get yourself comfortable with how the car responds, so that A) you don't get in over your head, or B) you remain calm and can make precise inputs. Because of the traction circle, you're generally going to be able to turn hardest when you're at constant throttle -- meaning not accelerating or braking. So if you're at the limit in a curve, and realize you're not going to make it, either gunning it or braking will likely not help you actually get around the turn, it will just determine which end of the car hits the grass first. (I know this is a generalization).

In other words no one technique is going to save you if you come into a turn way too fast, or are in the middle of a spin. By giving the correct, small inputs when you're at the limit, you can control the car as it goes over the limit, and either bring it back in line, or maintain some slip angle (in a drift).

The S2000 behaves like any other RWD car, only it is calibrated to respond very quickly, and that makes it feel like it amplifies any mistake you make at the limit. As has been mentioned a thousand times, when ambient/tire temperature is low, or in the wet, the car can feel very tail-happy, compared to how planted it is in the dry. After learning to control my S in 50 degree weather (when the worn out rears had no grip), I can feel exactly what it's doing now that I have new tires and it's warm enough out that they stick. Even though there's very little feel through the steering wheel (one of my biggest gripes), you get good response through the 'seat of the pants,' and I can tell what the car is doing as it approaches the limit of adhesion, not just once past it.

I'm not sure if this is your thing, but I've found that Forza 2 has much better response than my previous favorite, GT4, in terms of partial throttle car control. It can be a good tool to learning what RWD does at the limit (just don't get over-confident when you get behind the wheel again!) It really requires smooth inputs to get the best times. Weight transfer determines whether too much gas/brake gives you under/oversteer. Ask if you want a quick explanation of this.

Be careful out there!
Old 07-02-2007, 11:07 AM

[QUOTE=PilotSi,Jun 30 2007, 06:42 PM] If it's over-rotating, let off the gas.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by nocal,Jul 1 2007, 06:22 AM
Here's my "theory" on it. Before you go tearassing through a nice set of corners, take it slow. Don't dive blindly into corners because no amount of braking after the blind-turn-in will keep you out of that 18-wheelers grill.

Learn the roads and tracks you want to drive spiritedly. I'd say go do some driving schools, my "accident-avoidance" skills went up dramatically as well as my understanding of how even the most minute inputs (good and bad) can dramatically change the balance of the car.

Be humble behind the wheel, learn the car and learn the road. Thats the best advice I can give you on how to deal with situations like this ; even before they happen.
good advice :thumbup:
Old 07-02-2007, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lionheart,Jul 2 2007, 04:22 AM
So, going into a corner for example without knowing if you're gonna make it... What else can you do to slow down the car except from going off the gas or braking? Just take a little margin and you can always increase your speed if you notice you can go faster. I prefer going in a little safe and if so, increase my speed. It's a lot safer imo

slow in fast out ftw
Old 07-02-2007, 11:20 AM

everyone pretty much sums it up, drive smart and be safe.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Banned
Banned

I think we should all go to drifting school so when we enter too fast, then it times to use the drifting skill. hahahha

Is there a drifting school around here??
Old 07-02-2007, 12:37 PM

To answer the original question. "What to do when you discover that you're too fast in a turn?" Depends on when this discovery is made. Obviously, the earlier the better. If you see that you're too fast before the car is sideways, or at the edge, gently lift and go to the brake. Otherwise, how much road do you have? You can straighten a bit so that braking is possible and take as much speed off as you can before having to continue the turn. If all else fails, go neutral balance and clinch you butt.

Quick Reply: driving tips