S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

driving tips

Old 06-30-2007, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driving tips

i've read a lot of horror stories going a little too fast into the corner and driver got nervous and let off gas which is a no no for FR and MR cars .

so i would like to know say you did overestimate the speed and went in too fast , how do you guys slow it down more without letting off the gas? or just let it off a bit only ? or do you pull the e-brake or such?

i have my own theories but would gladly hear experienced drivers talk about this , especially on track.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:34 PM

subscribed
Old 06-30-2007, 02:42 PM

It's all in your throttle control...I've overcooked corners plenty of time in autox, and I'll usually add more or less gas to control where I want to point the nose of the car. If it's over-rotating, let off the gas. If it's understeering, add a lot of gas.

Don't do anything dumb and pull the e-brake.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:44 PM

i'll contribute a little with my own theories first.

for me

i felt that only by using steering input to correct the speed ( or changing the vehicle's direction) will be it or letting off just a tad little and counter steer if the car actually oversteers while going too fast into the corner hence a spin.

or if the car actually understeers , i would think e-brake or clutch kick will kick out the tail and counter steer.

in no way can i imagine using brakes since that will make me lift off my right foot on the gas or it will be left-foot braking already.

I hope i made some sense in my ideas above.

Pilotsi: yes i understand that you let off gas , but i dont think u meant let off gas completely right as that will make a drastic weight transfer to the front hence more spin out time, correct?

i've only have 2 years auto-x and 2 track days on my S but seeing so much new S owners been with such crazy stories of lift-off oversteer or snap oversteer and crashed the S I thought people should share some driving tips.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:58 PM

Hard-braking followed by a late turn-in. It'll kill your lap time, but it should save your hide.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:22 AM

Here's my "theory" on it. Before you go tearassing through a nice set of corners, take it slow. Don't dive blindly into corners because no amount of braking after the blind-turn-in will keep you out of that 18-wheelers grill.

Learn the roads and tracks you want to drive spiritedly. I'd say go do some driving schools, my "accident-avoidance" skills went up dramatically as well as my understanding of how even the most minute inputs (good and bad) can dramatically change the balance of the car.

Be humble behind the wheel, learn the car and learn the road. Thats the best advice I can give you on how to deal with situations like this ; even before they happen.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:47 AM

The best advice for city driving is of course....if you think it might be a little too fast...it probably is. If there was plenty of open road to make the fast turn then it wouldn't matter if you spun around. Learn to be smart first then learn to drive faster later.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:14 PM

Go AutoX
Old 07-01-2007, 12:54 PM

hmmm what if you enter a competition and the track is entirely new to you like the auto-x divisional and national. i'm sure u want to b e able to drive the limit of the car right
Old 07-01-2007, 04:52 PM

:) I have always driven my cars (spirited) coming from FWD Accords it has taken me a few weeks to be confident with the S, little by little ,I've been gaining experience, being mine a daily driver, to take the same corner every day a little faster, until we reached the limit of adhesion, now we work on increasing the corner speed without breaking the tail loose, like a horse whisperer.

Quick Reply: driving tips