S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Driving an s2000 home

Old 08-22-2017, 05:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Upon arrival at the dealer, before signing any documents or paying anything, call up the insurance company. Your insurance company will ask your policy number and information of the car you plan to purchase (VIN, make, year and model). If everything is ok, the car will be added into your policy, and the insurance company will fax or email a temporary insurance document to your dealer. You will use this temporary insurance document along with the temporary registration and paper license plate provided by the dealer to drive your car back home.

Last edited by rudyy; 08-22-2017 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,085 Posts

I would be less concerned about LEO and more concerned about accidents. I would be worried ins would say not covered, if an accident occurred with an unregistered vehicle.

I recently purchased a new winter vehicle (G37xS), and drove it home with the plate from my old winter car ('01 A6 2.7T, 250k miles). But that was a one hour drive. I wouldn't dream of driving as far as you'll have to go with an unregistered car.

Get ins, then go to DMV and get temp tags.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:49 PM

Received 1,752 Likes on 1,045 Posts

In the State of California, in all my 61 years, I have never heard of someone getting a one way, one trip permit. Just drive the darn thing with your bill of sale and take care of business when you get to your home.

One Trip Permit(CVC §4003)

A one trip permit may be issued for a fee, in lieu of California registration, to move a vehicle required to be registered:
  • When unladen, for one continuous trip from a place within California to a place in or outside California or from outside California to a place in California (by the most directroute).
  • For participation as a vehicular float or display in a lawful parade or exhibition for one round trip from one place to another. The total round trip cannot exceed 100 miles and must be completed within 60 days.
A one trip permit is valid for a nonresident:
  • To move a newly purchased trailer coach into California.
  • Member of the armed forces to move an unregistered trailer coach they own into, out of, or within California.
Important: A one trip permit cannot be used to move a crane or trailer coach owned by a California resident.

Blank one trip permits may be purchased in volume from any DMV office.

Issuing a one trip permit does not affect California tax requirements. For sales and use tax information, contact the Board of Equalization (BOE) at www
Old 08-23-2017, 09:23 AM

Received 248 Likes on 177 Posts

I bought my S out of state and just drove it home, same for my motorhome(that was a 3000 mile drive home). Both times the vehicle had no plates, just a bill of sale. On my ins. policy I have ins. for 30 days after I buy the vehicle(registered or not) and to get a policy for the new vehicle, either from my ins. co. or a new co.

ROD
Old 08-23-2017, 01:16 PM

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Guys, ins contracts are like any other contract. All that matters is wuat the contract says. Make sure you know what yours says in thos regard.

Is the coverage null and void if the vehicle is not registered? If that sort of language is in there, you're screwed if there is an accident. The op is talking about a very long drive home. Many hours.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought my S2000 a month ago. My ins (Travelers) covered till I could get back home and I left sellers tag on till I could get temp tag. I live in Florida so don't know if this helps. Anyone know if there is a group of owners in Central Florida?
Old 08-24-2017, 12:25 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll take this into consideration if I ever want to buy a CR. I actually just recently found an s2000 at a great price an hour away from my house.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:06 PM

Received 1,752 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy

Is the coverage null and void if the vehicle is not registered? If that sort of language is in there, you're screwed if there is an accident. The op is talking about a very long drive home. Many hours.
This is normal in the course of business of automobiles. Registration can take months. Mine took 6 months. I had paperwork showing I applied and paid fees.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually just bought an S2000 in CA as well. I live in SJ too. Insurance as people stated above should be obtained prior to picking up the car. They will usually email you a temp card if you call them. (I had statefarm and even though my agent's office was closed, the call center took the call and provided me with the temp card via email).

For license plate, I believe it stays with the car with the registration sticker. When a drunk driver rammed into my car totaling it, I surrendered the car and the plate with it to the insurance company. I'm originally from NJ and I thought you kept the plates, but in CA they told me to leave the plates with the car. In the same way, when I bought my car through a broker, they gave me the plates on the car that was registered and had registration left on it. I just had to apply for a registration transfer through DMV which was like $14. I'm assuming that if you have documents showing proof of purchase, and the car is registered and in process of being transferred, the officers would work something out.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:44 AM

I live in the Bay Area Ca and not sure if it is too late to reply. As long as you have full coverage insurance, you are covered for 30 before you activating the new policy. However if you are a little paranoid, just activate a new policy a day before picking up the car. All you need is the VIN# and tell your agent that you will be buying this vehicle. If the sale fall through the crack all you lose if 2 days of policy balance ans shouldn't be that bad. I have done that before, insured the car but the deal fell through at the end.

Regarding the tag, as long as you have the bill of sale you are ok and I don't remember if you have 15 days or 30 days to register your California registered new purchase. There were few occasions that my new used car purchase needed a new plate, and I don't remember whether they had expired registration or something else. In general as long as the registration is not expired, a regular plate stays with the vehicle. Just someone mentioned above, I would worry about outstanding balance more since insurance and registration can be easily done. To alleviate your concern, I would activate an AAA account, find an AAA office with DMV service in LA, and do the transaction/registration face to face in the AAA office. Provide the office the VIN# and check for any outstanding balance before the transaction. Once everything is cleared then you can do the money transaction/registration in such a safe environment which is beneficial for both parties. Usually the wait time in AAA office is minimal and to me that $100 membership fee is worth for the waiting time in the DMV, safe environment plus one year of AAA service. There is no reason for the seller to refuse doing the transaction in AAA with you unless something is sketchy. Hope this help.

Quick Reply: Driving an s2000 home