S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Driving an s2000 home

Old 08-19-2017, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving an s2000 home

I live in san jose california and plan on flying down to Los Angeles to buy an s2000. Does anyone have any experience driving an s2000 a long way home without registration or insurance??? Any input appreciated.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:35 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Insurance is a phone call or some mouse clicks away. Can't you get a temp tag? I've been known to just slap any current plate on the car to avoid the attention of no plate. Won't withstand a license check, of course, but if you don't drive like an AlfaHotel you probably won't get stopped. Your bill of sale from the morning and your explanation you're only driving to the BMV may suffice. If you weren't being an AlfaHotel.

Some states the tags stay with the car, others they stay with the owner. Any reason the former owner can't leave the tags on the car until you're home? Mail them back.

-- Chuck
Old 08-20-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Definitely do NOT drive without insurance. That would be a bad idea. Like Chuck S said, insurance is a few clicks or a short call away. As far as tags, each state is different, but most will give you a temp tag for a few days. Quick google search shows CA as providing a "one trip permit." But you could also just meet the buyer at the DMV and register it since you are still going to be in Cali.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Insurance is a phone call or some mouse clicks away. Can't you get a temp tag? I've been known to just slap any current plate on the car to avoid the attention of no plate. Won't withstand a license check, of course, but if you don't drive like an AlfaHotel you probably won't get stopped. Your bill of sale from the morning and your explanation you're only driving to the BMV may suffice. If you weren't being an AlfaHotel.

Some states the tags stay with the car, others they stay with the owner. Any reason the former owner can't leave the tags on the car until you're home? Mail them back.

-- Chuck
I could try to ask the fellow but I dont know if most people would trust that.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by CYANiDE91
Definitely do NOT drive without insurance. That would be a bad idea. Like Chuck S said, insurance is a few clicks or a short call away. As far as tags, each state is different, but most will give you a temp tag for a few days. Quick google search shows CA as providing a "one trip permit." But you could also just meet the buyer at the DMV and register it since you are still going to be in Cali.
I didnt know there was such thing as that, That's a big help thanks a lot. Woould insurance still insure me on the one day reg?
Old 08-20-2017, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by CYANiDE91
But if I'm going to the dmv shouldn't I just re register the vehicle in my name?
Old 08-20-2017, 11:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by turtleesss
But if I'm going to the dmv shouldn't I just re register the vehicle in my name?
You can insure a vehicle without having tags. Insurance doesn't care about registration (at least in NY and VA where I've had vehicles registered before). You just call them, give them the VIN, and they'll ask a few questions and it'll be active right then and there. I would actually insure it the night before so you could have the proof of insurance printed or just find a Kinko's near by to print it.

Exactly - when you're going to the DMV you'll just register in your name and get registration and plates right then and there.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:55 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I purchased my s2000 this way, except I took a one-way rental car as opposed to a flight. I suggest the rental car (if you're ok with the drive time) for the main reason of cost if you don't buy the car. With the flight you are boned, with the rental car you drive home and don't have to pay a one-way fee. So the flight and rental are similar cost if you buy the car, but the rental is way cheaper if you don't.

As others have said call in insurance the day before. You should just need the VIN. If you can get temporary tag/permit in CA do that, otherwise having a bill of sale and the title in your name should satisfy any officers who would pull you over.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:52 PM

Received 1,752 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Some insurance companies give you a grace period to declare you own a car. USAA has informed me on several occasions that they can easily go two weeks before I notify them; the car will be covered from the time I took possession. In the event of loss you literally would be informing them you owned a vehicle and you have a claim on it in the same breath!

Tags in California. A bill of sale will suffice. A handwritten bill of sale is legal coming from a private party. However, sometimes the DMV can get goofy. I purchased a vehicle in Arizona from a dealer who gave me a standard AZ form BOS. California wanted a California bill of sale. I gently reminded the DMV assistant that Arizona does not use California forms. Did not matter. In the 6 month wait for CA registration, I mailed the California form to the AZ dealer and we postdated the stupid thing to make the DMV happy.

If for some reason you are cited for lack of insurance or registration, it will be easy to cover once you do register it. If your bill of sale indicates a very recent purchase, any LEO is going to know how the system works; they will be more interested in you having outstanding warrants.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:15 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,094 Posts

USAA automatically insures any vehicle I buy without contacting them, but it only takes a minute or two on line or on the phone with the VIN. Can't believe they're the only insurance company that does this. I had my S2000 insured before I picket it up at the dealer. No loan to complicate things.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: Driving an s2000 home