S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Driver's-side mirror adjusting

Old 01-08-2001, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was tweaking my driver's side mirror and discovered it wouldn't go out nearly as much as my Fiero's.

In fact, the furthest out position was still looking down the side of the car! I could even bring it back in to an absurd angle, but couldn't get it out as far as I would like it.

Are all S2000's driver's side mirrors inhibited in this fashion?

This leaves a huge blind spot on the driver's side of the car outside of the mirror's range on the flank of the car just asking to take out a motorcycle when pulling on the highway!

I don't want one of those tacky stick-on convex mirrors, as they'd dominate the "S"'s small mirror and be an additional item to check...

So my question is, is this typical, anyone have an idea how easy it would be to dissassemble the mirror and step out the interior mounting points?

Randy
Old 01-08-2001, 01:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wondered the same thing myself. I was driving around one day testing this - and there is a definate blind spot there, which can be avoided if I could only get that mirror to nudge one more notch!
Old 01-08-2001, 02:41 PM

Do you have the seat postioned way back? I have no problem, but my seat if forward about 6 inched from rearward most position.
Old 01-08-2001, 03:26 PM

Isn't the entire fixture movable? If it is, and your's got bumped so it's out of normal position, even the most extreme wide angle will still hit the side of the car. Get out of the car, grab the entire fixture and move it "out".
Old 01-09-2001, 06:24 AM

If that doesn't work, adjust the mirror to the furthest outside position then push on the outside of the mirror until it clicks two or three times. You will set the motor on another gear and have much better range to adjust.
Old 01-09-2001, 10:21 AM

I just ran out to the garage--here's the results...

Schatten, whelp, since I'm not the only one, maybe we'll find an answer!

S2Wooow, I probably do have the seat most of the way back, but that's not optional.

CA Stook, you're right, it's movable, but returns with spring tension--in other words, it's currently in the correct position, and if I move it out I'm sure driving vibrations and air resistance will help the spring bring it back in line.

stocks2k, I gave it more force than I would normally based on your suggestion, as well as pushing on the outer edge along with pulling the inner--but was unable to get a shift in position... Unfortunately, that would be the best type of solution, but I believe might require dissassembly (which I'm good for if I had the info). Looks like I'll have to wait for the service manual to come in.

Randy