S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Drive By Wire

Old 10-19-2005, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive By Wire

Ok i know there has been discussion on DBW,but i can not for the life of me find anything at all on this site.

So,if someone can direct me,great.If not,lets discuss it here.Id like to learn more about it,how it works,its advantages/disadvantages,etc.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:16 PM

DBW is what it sounds like. A wire runs from your accelerator to a motor on the throttle body instead of a cable. There is a motor there that opens/closes the throttle. There is a delay with the motor unlike the traditional cable. Personally I think it is one of those things that is better left alone. Just something else to have to replace.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:31 PM

FWIW, in most DBW systems the delay is on purpose to "smooth" out small changes in throttle application. This is why they say in the TL commercial that the car "learns" how you drive and customizes itself to how you get on the throttle. In theory, it should give someone who is aggressive, more throttle sooner than someone who is always tapping on the gas.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Colin,Oct 19 2005, 06:31 PM
FWIW, in most DBW systems the delay is on purpose to "smooth" out small changes in throttle application. This is why they say in the TL commercial that the car "learns" how you drive and customizes itself to how you get on the throttle. In theory, it should give someone who is aggressive, more throttle sooner than someone who is always tapping on the gas.
great explanation... would this apply to the S2k too, where it learns your driving style?
Old 10-19-2005, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by WayneTeK,Oct 19 2005, 04:34 PM
great explanation... would this apply to the S2k too, where it learns your driving style?
Well I do sell them for a living.... I'd imagine that the ECUs should be similar, we can only hope that the new S2000 is programed for lighting fast response time.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:51 PM

Honda uses it in the NSX and their F1 car so I'd say they know what they're doing.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Colin,Oct 19 2005, 08:31 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you but, personally, I don't see why they go to that much trouble.

Why not just make the darn thing do precisely what the driver asks, just like the direct cable control on the previous models do? If the driver screws up and the stability control has to take over for a second or two, so be it. Otherwise the DBW system should just do what it's told, nothing more and nothing less.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine drove it and said it felt weird. It seemed pretty instantaneous but did things he was not used to.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:11 PM

Well I'm not disagreeing with you on this either, I wish they'd just leave it off the S2000. I do know that the system could be so fast that it would overreact to driver inputs if allowed to. They (Honda) says this results in jerky driving. It's similar to how they slowed down the speedometer display so it's not always changing between 58, 59, 57, 58 as the speed of the car fluctuates.

Technically isn't a regular throttle cable not eitirely linear either? On the throttle body the cable wraps around a cam shaped guide. This must modify the opening of the throttle plate. Maybe xviper knows for sure?
Old 10-19-2005, 09:37 PM

i realize everything it seems like is getting away from being mechanical and more so electronic....however i dont see where the old fashion way has its faults.i dont find it to be un-smooth or jerky personally.i like the cable,its one less thing to go wrong i guess.but im gonna go test drive a new s2k or even a new civic if i need to and ill report back with my review of it

Quick Reply: Drive By Wire