S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Drilled and slotted rotors question????

Old 10-20-2003, 04:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drilled and slotted rotors question????

I have seen these rotors on ebay for a while now. At this time I can't afford any of the big brake kits but I would really like to have some rotors that are plated so they don't rust. Has anyone here tried these or know anything about these rotors? If these are no good then can you suggest a replacement for the stock rotors that are plated?

Old 10-20-2003, 08:03 AM

anybody????
Old 10-20-2003, 09:13 AM

A few sponsors sell drilled/plated rotors. Check TeamSpugen. Also try the Search as I'm sure this is a tired topic. Spoon Sports makes some nice rotors with the holes cast in place, but they're $800. plus.
I would shy away from stock rotors that have been cross-drilled, slotted maybe. Can't do anything but weaken the rotor, but I may be wrong. Team Spugen slotted only is what I'm considering.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like mine, but I actually think I take longer to stop with them on. I also show A LOT more brake dust now.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:29 AM

Be prepared for the plating to wear off in about 1500 miles (cadmium plating lasts a little longer than zinc plating so be sure you ask what kind of plating it is when you buy). After the plating is gone, back comes the rust (but only on the swept part of the rotor which gets wiped off on the first braking).

The most annoying problem I've seen with the drilled rotors is that the holes get filled up with rust and brake dust and when you wash the car, if you dont clean out those holes and dry them, that wet, black gunk gets sprayed all over the inside of your nice clean wheels. I've started to use my air compressor to blast that crap out of my rotors each time I wash the car.

I also notice a "whirring" noise when the brakes are applied due to the pads sweeping across the slots. Call me crazy, but I kind of like that sound

All told, they will require a little more effort to keep clean, but when they are clean, they look awesome imho.

Hope this helps!

I got mine from Mastergrade and they are zinc plated:

Before and after shots of the upgraded rims and rotors....brand new, sure are "purdy" when they are new!

Here's after about 1200 miles, not super shiny anymore, but still nice looking:
Old 10-20-2003, 10:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the after pictures.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:38 AM

If you look east...
Project Mu and a set if slotted rotors for fronts only. Spoon have cross drilled for front and rear. Endless/Zeal has slotted for front and rear, J's Racing have slotted for fronts only.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:45 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I just bought wheels, springs, exhaust, front bumper, side skirts, rear spoiler, strut tower bar, and will be buying a hard top soon so I am a little tight on cash right now. I just didn't want to put on my wheels with the rusted stock disks. Eventually I will upgrade to one of the big brake kits but for now I was looking for a cheap alternative. I guess I will give these a try. They are only $299.00 so I guess I don't have a lot to lose if they suck. If they do suck then that will give me an excuese to go ahead and buy a big brake kit
Old 10-20-2003, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If suck=rust then they won't suck as much as stock. If suck=stopping power, they'll likely stock not nearly as well as stock, but not significantly less.

Slots and holes are just for looks.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:28 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by krazik
If suck=rust then they won't suck as much as stock.

Quick Reply: Drilled and slotted rotors question????