S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Drilled/slotted Rotors And Breaking

Old 07-22-2004, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is the strongest way to have the drilled look yes.

They still aren't as strong as regular vented rotors.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krazik,Jul 22 2004, 06:36 PM
That is the strongest way to have the drilled look yes.

They still aren't as strong as regular vented rotors.
Krazik,
are the OEM rotors vented. I bought my crossed/drilled rotors from Spugen. i bought them mainly for the looks though. hows Santa Cruz? i went to UCSC. I love it up there. i have a friend the works at biotech SC
Old 07-22-2004, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dolemike,Jul 21 2004, 06:31 AM
I think crossdrilled/ slotted rotors keep the rotors cooler and prevent fading under heavy braking conditions, might make a slight improvement in braking power too.
Cross-drilled rotors are mainly for looks. Every track junky knows to stay away from them, unless the already excellent stock rotors wear out, then they either replace with another set of OEM rotors, or aftermarket slotted rotors.

What you want are stickier tires, more aggressive pads and fluid, and maybe a good set of calipers. Don't expect much from multi-piston calipers at low speed though, however they do improve feedback and pedal feel, while saving you some unsprung weight.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by itryan,Jul 22 2004, 08:35 PM
Krazik,
are the OEM rotors vented. I bought my crossed/drilled rotors from Spugen. i bought them mainly for the looks though. hows Santa Cruz? i went to UCSC. I love it up there. i have a friend the works at biotech SC
The OEM fronts are vented, the rears are solid.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JL9000,Jul 22 2004, 08:44 PM
Cross-drilled rotors are mainly for looks. Every track junky knows to stay away from them, unless the already excellent stock rotors wear out, then they either replace with another set of OEM rotors, or aftermarket slotted rotors.

What you want are stickier tires, more aggressive pads and fluid, and maybe a good set of calipers. Don't expect much from multi-piston calipers at low speed though, however they do improve feedback and pedal feel, while saving you some unsprung weight.
Or G3000 replacements

Had to sneak that in there. Charles is right though: Stay away from drilled rotors on the track.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:02 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hockey,Jul 21 2004, 11:19 AM
Cross-drilled rotors have a bad habit of cracking under track-use conditions.

That's the main reason I went with just slotted rotors.

Word to the wise!
I recently installed a set of aftermarket drilled and slotted rotors. I did a lot of research on whether or not to do cross drilled or slots or niether. The set I purchased are black cad plated, drilled & slotted, and cryo treated. The cryo treating is supposed to help with reducing any microfractures in the material. The treatment also virtually eliminates warping.

I agree that the stock rotors are very good, they hold up quite well under all conditions. However, the drilled and/or slotted rotors have been shown to run about 80
Old 07-23-2004, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=S2k Dude,Jul 23 2004, 07:02 AM] However, the drilled and/or slotted rotors have been shown to run about 80
Old 07-23-2004, 10:09 AM

[QUOTE=Ludedude,Jul 22 2004, 10:16 PM] Or G3000 replacements

Had to sneak that in there.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Ryan, it depends on many factors not the least of which is how much track experience you have. The "faster" you are, the harder you can potentially be on brakes. I'll go out on a limb and say that you're not likely to crack those rotors your first time out but it's always a possibility.

If you're using your brakes to their fullest potential, then yes, you're going to want to switch to an OEM style (solid) rotor. I'm pretty sure the G3000 OEM replacements are coated inside the vanes to keep them from rusting. I'd have to confirm that 100% with the manufacturer if that's a make or break point with you (or anyone for that matter).

As far as the CAT goes, you're on your own but I doubt you'll realize any difference in lap times unless you're already at the upper limits of the machinery. Save your time for making sure your brakes are up to snuff. They're far more important than trying to squeeze another 3 hp out of the car

J.P.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:34 PM

thanks J.P.. i mainly bought my rotors for show(cuz i liked how they looked). i never liked the rust look of stock rotors. it bothered me when i had my Ford Ranger Edge 4x4. When i track my car, which i probably wont do until i take a few driving lessons, i will care only about performance and not show.

Quick Reply: Drilled/slotted Rotors And Breaking