S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

drifting rear ???

Old 03-13-2002, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drifting rear ???

I think i found why is the s2k rear is so easy to slip out of control,
Since i drive car i'm always practicing drifting with my car so i'll be use to how it reacts in certain situations.
So when i bought my ( S ) i was surprise how the rear of a so balance car is slippy !!! Almost dangerous !!!
But i have learn how feel it and i guage the amount of gas very carrefully at the end of a curve to keep a total control of the rear.
Now that i know the car reactions perfectly i push it a little more just to make a slight rear drift and it seems that it's always the outside rear wheel that is drifting making the car unstable on the rear so ....My question is : Is it possible that the torsen differential is not well calibrate,giving to much power to the outside wheel beside giving the same amount of power the the two wheels ?? ( I hope you guys can understand my english !!!
Old 03-13-2002, 11:32 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did you make sure that the spring spacers are out?
my rear was much less stable until i found a spacer and took it out- have not had any loss of control since then...
Old 03-13-2002, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you determine which wheel seems to be drifting? I ask because my interpretation of "outside wheel" is the wheel with more load (weight) on it during the turn. This wheel is less likely to spin than the unloaded inside wheel.
Old 03-13-2002, 12:09 PM

In hard cornering, the S2000 will lift the inside rear wheel. This causes it to loose traction, then the Torson limited slip transfers almost all the power to the outside tire. All is fine until the outside tire looses traction and then it's adios amigos. Lot's of potential solutions to keeping the rear end flatter, mainly using a larger front sway bar, are still being tested.
Old 03-13-2002, 12:46 PM

Yes my spring spacer's are out !!I am not talking about rear that is too stiff or unstable but a differential that is calibrate to deliver too much power to the outside wheel.
If you guys want to do a test, do this : Wait for a rainy day and just when it start to rain a little bit ( not too much cuz the car got to have enought grab to the ground),turn your steering wheel about a quarter of a turn and accelerate moderately just to feel that your wheel is spinning, pay attention and you will find that the wheel starting to spin is the outside one.
When you take a curve, the outside wheel have more distance to make to follow the car's direction making this wheel working a little less hard than the other one so, a normal differential is to give more energy to this wheel to keep the same energy given to both wheels but, the problem with this kind of differential is that if you have a wheel on a slippy surface or if a wheel starting to spin when you accelerate ( drag ???? Hehehe ) this kind of differential will give more and more energy to that spinning wheel thinking you are talking a curve ( idiot ) So that's why we have a limited slip differential ( torson )So what is i'm trying to say here is wouldn't have be better if our differential ( torson ) was calibrate to give a little more power to the inside wheel ?? Try this test and you will know what i'm talking about. Take care !!!