S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Dreaded Miata Window

Old 06-12-2001, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dreaded Miata Window

After the dealership installed a new back window for me they managed to scratch it all up at the same time, so I went back to have my 3rd put on. Each time something seems to go wrong... now my window is clean and new with no creases, but looks like a god damn Miata back window.

Now when I say that... I mean... everytime I see a Miata the window is very 'baggy' and non fitting. Mine doesnt look like the plastic has been stretched out all the way, and if you look at the car from the rear you can see 5 reflections of the sun off of it.

If anyone else has this same problem, please post any related info that could help. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2001, 12:26 AM

I think the reason that the Miata window looks so baggy is because you can zip it out of the window hole. My friend owns a Miata and he zips his window partially out before he drops his top. That way, the window never gets creased.

As for tightening up your window, I'm not sure how you would do that. I know that RHES2K had his window replaced, and he told me that the window partially zips out, but the entire bottom part of the window, that's connected to the chassis doesn't come out and must be replaced. I would think the only real way to tighten it up would be to tighten the bottom part of the window.
Old 06-12-2001, 06:56 AM

Originally posted by MarkS2K
I think the reason that the Miata window looks so baggy is because you can zip it out of the window hole. My friend owns a Miata and he zips his window partially out before he drops his top. That way, the window never gets creased.

As for tightening up your window, I'm not sure how you would do that. I know that RHES2K had his window replaced, and he told me that the window partially zips out, but the entire bottom part of the window, that's connected to the chassis doesn't come out and must be replaced. I would think the only real way to tighten it up would be to tighten the bottom part of the window.
THanks for the info. I havent taken a hard look yet, plan on working on it the upcoming weekend but thanks.
Old 06-17-2001, 11:56 PM

Notice the top??
Old 06-18-2001, 12:02 AM

Damn Ben that is pretty saggy. Maybe you should pour some hot water over it to get rid of those creases. You could also try leaving it out in the hot sun or using a blow dryer.
Old 06-18-2001, 12:44 AM

I'd take it back to the dealer!
Old 06-18-2001, 12:46 AM

Yeah I plan on taking it back, but this was theird 2nd replacement attempt, with the 1st one going sour as well. I also just had them replace my clutch, flywheel, etc, under warranty, which I had already passed. So I wanted to make sure everything was done and squared away before bringing it up again.

I know what I will be doing in a few hours.
Old 06-18-2001, 08:12 AM

You can try pouring verrry hot water on the plastic... or so I've heard. Never tried, please use at your own risk.

-- Aaron
Old 06-18-2001, 10:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by amartin
[B]You can try pouring verrry hot water on the plastic... or so I've heard.
Old 06-18-2001, 11:12 AM

Plexus isn't really a polish, it's more of a cleaner/protectant. I've used the Meguires polish and it works very well, just try not to get it on the top material.