S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Doughtnuts?

Old 10-29-2000, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know how to do a doughtnut, or 180 degree turn. Please give intructions. I would like to try it when I go to the track.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2000, 10:23 AM

I've done them quite a lot, though mostly on snow/ice.

I would think though, that on dry ground, from a dead stop, you would crank the wheel all the way to one direction, depress the clutch, rev it up fairly high in 1st while slowly letting the clutch up. As the clutch starts to engage, give it more and more gas.

Seems to me that'd get the rear end spinning.
Did that with my old pickup a couple times.
Needed dirt on the road though, it didn't have much power.
Old 10-29-2000, 10:39 AM

The procedure outline by Siper2 should work very well. Just be sure you have a LOT of available space as directional control is iffy at best. I might also mention that this is extremely hard on expensive tires. Wet or icy conditions will make it much easier to do and not so tough on tires.

One question - WHY?
Old 10-29-2000, 11:42 AM

Bye-bye tires!
Old 10-29-2000, 01:16 PM

I just want to see how it feels like, also one time I saw someone was traveling at around 20-30 mph and then did a really quick U-turn safely on street roads. Does anyone have any idea as how to do that?
Old 10-29-2000, 01:33 PM
pfb

"bootlegger" u-turns can be made by turning the wheel slightly, then locking the rear wheels for an instant via the emergency brake to initiate the slide, then apply lots of throttle and countersteer. Cops love to watch you do 'em

On a high power car at slower speeds, you can also break the rear wheels loose by depressing the clutch, revving the engine, and popping the clutch. Same effect of breaking the rear end loose, and again countersteering. I don't think this second method is going to work at 20-30 mph, however, unless it's a really wide corner.

On a super powerful car (ala viper or Z06), just turn the wheel and punch the throttle. Instant spin (aka many successive u-turns!)
Old 10-29-2000, 03:47 PM

That bootleger turn should be done in an empyt parking lot until you get the hang of it. Easy to get out of control and hit something. When it's done right it's totally cool. Another is the reverse bootlegger. Reverse to about 10-20 MPH and spin the weel. Stop the spin when the car get straight and hit first gear.
Old 10-29-2000, 07:08 PM
pfb

That bootleger turn should be done in an empyt parking lot...
Agreed! Preferably one without alot of light poles!
Old 10-29-2000, 07:20 PM

Doughnuts are easy to do.

Put your car in first gear, clutch depressed. Turn the steering wheel to lock position. Rev car up to 7500rpm, dump clutch and floor it. Hold on

Doing a bootlegger is also easy. Begin going into the turn slowly. As you enter it, turn the wheel sharply and floor it. Control the car from here is crucial. Practice please in a parking lot before endangering the public. Thank you.
Old 10-29-2000, 07:25 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

I did some fun doughtnuts and holy cow was there a lot of smoke! Stank too! Sucker really made lots O' smoke. It wasn't windy at all so it hung there for quite a long while!

Im gonna start doing them more now cuz the life of these are over and will be moving to snowies soon and in spring I will just buy new ones.

Quick Reply: Doughtnuts?