S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Door rattle with stereo on...

Old 09-07-2008, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door rattle with stereo on...

Hi all,

My passenger door rattles when I have the stereo turned on (and not really when its too loud). Is there anything I can do to stop this other than taking the door card off and putting it back on making sure all the screws are tight?

I really dont want to take them off only to find the rattle is still there when I put it all back together again (only had the car 2 days!).

Is there anything that usually causes this rattle (anything stuck on the door or in it I can pad out etc?)

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-07-2008, 12:45 AM

it doesn't take too long to take the door off...maybe 20 minutes. I just did it about 2 weeks ago. The rattles is caused by the lip of the cardboard ring for the speaker against the mounting. I took a bit of clue to make sure it sticks. It's fine now.

If you're not sure, You can still turn on the stereo without unplug the speaker. That's how I discovered where the rattle was coming from.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:10 AM

Thanks for the info, i'll go down and try not to break my doors if it looks like it isn't going to rain for an hour or so..
Old 09-07-2008, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by TimEdwards,Sep 7 2008, 12:40 AM
Hi all,

My passenger door rattles when I have the stereo turned on (and not really when its too loud). Is there anything I can do to stop this other than taking the door card off and putting it back on making sure all the screws are tight?

I really dont want to take them off only to find the rattle is still there when I put it all back together again (only had the car 2 days!).

Is there anything that usually causes this rattle (anything stuck on the door or in it I can pad out etc?)

Thanks in advance!
i have this same problem, and am also trying to avoid taking the door off
Old 09-07-2008, 11:39 AM

is it because the door rattles or they are just not that great of a speaker? mine does the same on high bass songs..
Old 09-07-2008, 11:56 AM

mine seems to be a bit of both, not got the heart at the moment and it will only cost me
Old 09-07-2008, 01:29 PM

It really only takes 2 or 3 minutes to take off the door panel if you look at what you need to do. There's about 4 screws and then just pull it off.. Two in black handle, 1 where the door lock is and one up by the mirror under a little plastic cover. I lived with garbage speakers way to long. When I finally took off the door panel and fixed it I wanted to kick myself because I hadn't done it sooner. Really easy....
Old 09-07-2008, 01:36 PM

Nice, just what I needed to know. How much of a difference are upgraded speakers?

Had an hour long drive today and they are just shocking, even if you negate their poor volume the quality is just rediculous.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:21 PM

Night and day! If you want nice full range sound go with components. I'm using Boston Acoustic pro 60's. They sound incredible for just two speakers but I had to install an amp to actually hear what they're capable of. I'd say go with the most inexpensive polk audio components off of ebay if you're going to power them off the head unit.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:58 PM

I had a different type of rattle/vibration, replaced my door speakers and even had dynamat on. Found out that the cause of the rattling was from the passenger side keyhole, tighten up the bolt that held it in place from the underside and that fixed it. It's worth a look if you already have your door panel off

Quick Reply: Door rattle with stereo on...