S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

DONT DO THIS: Car Cover+Cable/PadLock+High Wind= Bad day

Old 03-09-2004, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Covercraft Weathershield, and I had trouble with it blowing off too. Luckily, I never got any scratches from the lock. I did come up with a fix to keep the cover more or less down on the car, even in high winds....I have four plastic clips (found them at Lowe's) that are tied on to some rope loops. When I put the cover on, I just wrap the clip/loop around a spoke on each wheel and then clip it to the cover. So far, so good. I tried to hold it down at the front/rear bumpers, but couldn't really find a good way to grip it...thats when I devised this method. If people want, I can take a few pics sometime.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:08 AM

thanks for replying guys!

I have now begun to really rap the cable into the drivers side hole to take up the slack, I'll be examining new locks soon and possibly other methods to keep the rear and front down.

to those that believe A: 'get a garage" B: "don't own a converible without a garage" you all must be living in a fantasy land. IN Northern VA, housing costs are ridiculous, a townhouse with a garage will START at approx $350-400K and House with a 2 car garage...good luck finding a nice one for less then $450-500K. It just so happens the Townhouse I own does not have a garage:-(

The cover I have is custome fit, with pockets for the mirrors and antenna, it is a Weathershield cover. That doesn't mean a 20mph wind won't find its way under the cover. The entire weekend the cover held fine, it was this nasty blast of weather with gusts over 30mph that caused the damage. It specifically states in the ownres manual that high winds will cause the cover to blow off, there is no escaping that. So I take blame for leaving the lock on as it was.

I like the suggestions for keeping the front and back down..I'll try that.

the detail shop said they can buff the scratches out for under $50, so I'm taking the car in on Saturday.

later
Chris
Old 03-09-2004, 06:23 AM

I have covers for all my cars and have never had a problem with them blowing off (and it's windy here in Houston). Also never had one stolen so I've never used a lock.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:32 AM

some people must be lucky! :-)

when the wind can blow of shingles and siding on a house, blow away lawn furniture, there is no reason why it wouldn't be able to blow off a car cover, hence the warning in the owners manual:-)

anyway, there is no sense starting a debate about it, car covers blowing off is possible, as stated by others on this board. So if you bought one, learn from my lesson and take precautions.

later
Chris
Old 03-09-2004, 07:16 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by ciccone376
thanks for replying guys!

the detail shop said they can buff the scratches out for under $50, so I'm taking the car in on Saturday.

later
Chris
or for less you can learn to do it yourself if you want- and you will have the supplies for next time!
if interested in "how to", post in the wash & wax forum...
Old 03-09-2004, 07:25 AM

Wanabe...
thanks for the suggestion. I actually did detailing for a while and I'm familiar with the process, but I'm not comfortable actually using am abrasive compound and high speed buffer to take out moderate scratches like this. If it were normal surface scratches, I could do it with my current cheimcals and professional orbital polisher. However, the orbital polisher does not have enough 'grunt' to really do what this job requires.

for $30, I know a place that has been in business for 20 years will be able to handle the scratches, and if not they wil be able to do a pro touch up job and blend in the area.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the guys with their panties all bound up because of my garage comment...it was a joke.

To the guy who said I would say buy a house...no I would say get out of the armpit of the world LA and then buy a house!!

(that was a joke to in case you were getting all red faced like this )
Old 03-09-2004, 08:26 AM

^LOL.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:58 AM

If getting out of the armpit means living under clouds and rain for half the year, I'll take the armpit. I get to drive my car more.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:14 AM

what i did to solve issues of the cover blowing off was i bought some thin rope made about 4-6 holes on the cover and placed some inserts so it would not tear then i use the ropes and tied them to the wheels lol works for me.

Quick Reply: DONT DO THIS: Car Cover+Cable/PadLock+High Wind= Bad day