S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Does the S2k just look damn fast?

Old 10-31-2002, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the S2k just look damn fast?

I have a neighbor who on monday I drove by his house like I do every day. I do not know the man and have never seen him. I have been driving by his home for about 4 years. To make a long story short the speed limit is 30 MPH and on one evening I was driving by his home and he was out side at the time. As I drive by he runs to the side of the road to give me the "slowdown" sign (you know the one where they wave thier hand up and down). Funny thing, but I looked down at the speedo and I was doing 31 MPH. I was like WTF? So the next day I was driving by his home when he decided to jump out in the road and do his little "slowdown" signal a gain. I look down and I was doing 32 MPH. So again I was like WTF? So I decide to turn around and see what his problem is. I pull up in front of his house and roll down my window and he starts going off, saying that he always sees me doing like 45 MPH past his house. There is NO way I could ever travel past his home at 45 because his house sits 15 yards before my turn so even if I were speeding the fastest I could be going is like 33 to 36 MAX! So he is yelling at me saying I am a Son of a Bitch and a pussy because I wont get out of my car. So I hop out of my car and keep my cool. By the way this man is in his early 50's and I am 20. He is up in my face talking all kinds of shit and I tell him to do something about it. After that I told him the only reason that he is so angry and so bitter is because he is jelous of me. Then he got pissed. So I played off of that saying that he should grow up, and get a life, find better things to do than harrass people that he is jelous of. Some where in his fit he said something about following me and "knowing where I go". I don't know what he means by that but it kind of scares me, like he knows where my baby sleeps.

What do you all think I should do?
Old 10-31-2002, 03:03 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

And you live in UT? I thought these kind of folks only lived next to me in TX
Old 10-31-2002, 03:13 PM

It's occured to me that a lot of people tend to think you're going fast or accelerating hard if your engine is spinning quickly. These people don't realize that in man-you-al transmission cars, that's not always the case. This happens to me all the time when I'm riding...since the engine is rarely spinning at less than 4k rpm and I have a nice slip-on on my VFR...

Anyway, the next time it happens, don't get confrontational - ask the guy out on a date. Tell him you think he's really cute. That should prevent him from ever speaking to you again...
Old 10-31-2002, 03:37 PM

This guy is obviously an asshole. Call the police tell them he threatened you and ask them to pay him a visit.
Old 10-31-2002, 03:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is wierd cuz I got a ticket a couple of months ago and the cop said I was making the turn too fast. Huh? Tires weren't screeching or anything and I was turning to go home. Wierd man. Maybe it does look fast? Lol
Duc
Old 10-31-2002, 04:59 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

The first most important thing is not to be provoked by him. Do not get into a fight or lose your cool. Mostly, he is just blowing off steam. My mother used to use an expression, "empty barrels make the most noise." That is true in this case.

One of the reasons that he accused you of speeding is perception. You are a young man in a sportscar. He expects you to speed and so he sees you as speeding. It is the same reason that many of these asses tell me that I am having a mid life crisis. I am a middle aged man and I own a sportscar. People see what they expect to see.

As far as his threats, I think that they are nonsense. If he continues to threaten just call the police. A badge and uniform would probably cool him down real fast.

Finally, make doubly sure that you don't speed past his house.
Old 10-31-2002, 05:09 PM

Were you in 1st doing 31mph?
Old 10-31-2002, 05:24 PM

"ask the guy out on a date. Tell him you think he's really cute. That should prevent him from ever speaking to you again..."

What if the neighbor say yes, he would love to go out with you
Old 10-31-2002, 05:34 PM

Ok, it's time to upgrade to an aftermarket exhaust. Make sure it's one of the loud ones with without the silencer.

Now, make sure you obey the speed limit. As an added measure keep the car in first gear as you roll by at 30 mph.

Good luck!
Old 10-31-2002, 06:19 PM

Just ignore him. Don't confront him like you did. Don't say stuff like "I tell him do do something about it". Be bigger and better than he is and don't go down to his level. Next time he may have a gun waiting for you. Don't provoke him by revving your engine or getting a louder exhaust. That's childish.

Quick Reply: Does the S2k just look damn fast?