S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Does the recession make the S2000 more relevant?

Old 01-03-2009, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think driving an S or a nicer car is "flaunting" if you bought it pre-meltdown. Everyone knows it's cheaper to continue driving whatever you have than it is to buy a new vehicle (okay, Veyron -> Corolla notwithstanding).

Thing is, I do get a bit of hateration going on when I tell them that my S is my "summer car", with everyone knowing full well that I have a motorcycle as well, and I didn't sell my Golf GTI, which I use as the winter beater. Added to the fact I live alone and own my own house.... some people don't get it.

But I tell them, to flip-flop between the two cars is only costing me $10 a month in insurance to store one or the other. Selling my Golf would only net me $10K (CAD) tops, making me carless when the snow hits. yes, I could winter my S, but then the added environmental damage (low bumper hitting snow constantly, salt, etc) would probably devalue the car when I resell.

As for the bike, it's long since paid off, and something I really enjoy riding. While other people have hobbies, I have my bike. It only cost me to insure and gas, plus general maintenance. Plus, I have work 2 jobs, a regular 9-5 (that's more like 10-8), and I'm a wedding photographer in the summer months. I work pretty hard for my dosh.

But nothing is recession proof. There's strong chance I'll be laid off within 2 yrs, because not only is the economy crappy, outsourcing is a real concern.

So I tell myself, enjoy it while you can, sonny, all of it could be gone in a week.

And I will. I take all the negative comments people throw my way and interpret it as jealousy. Because most of the time, it is.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:01 PM

CKit ~

I feel where you're coming from - we have pretty solid revenue and don't sweat much like eating out, buying a good piece of home electronics, or appliance, traveling, etc.

At the same time, I feel like our lifestyle has really good balance - I actually considered an SRT Viper but it "felt" like too much. It seemed like way more car than our *whole* lifestyle would support - not really a financial issue, more of what you (and Zoomie) were suggesting.

Plus I felt like the S2K would provide as much of the roadster experience as I wanted given it's incredibly limited use (not a DD). We even swapped out our X5 V8 and instead of opting for a new 4.8i, decided on a 4Runner V8 Limited, saved money and it "fits" better here at the beach.

Hard to explain, it's a little abstract, but I see you get it too
Old 01-03-2009, 01:11 PM

Interesting topic. I find it really relevant as well.

I work in banking and I feel like I could be laid off at any given time. I've had my S2000 for two weeks and I have not driven it to work once. The sole reason is because I would not be a happy camper if I were to get laid off and concurrently see my colleague purchase a car that is considered a want, not a need. Call me a hater, but I don't think anybody would be happy in that circumstance.

On the other hand, I feel like I work hard for the money and I deserve to have something other people may see as unecessary. Like many people said prior to this, the car can be had for less than a minivan. Granted it is not the most practical form of transportation (wait, it just might be since I'm the only one in the car 98% of the time anyway!), I feel like it is one of the material things that can bring joy to my life, especially during these difficult times. Seeing people get laid off and people suffering is demoralizing sometimes, but at the same time it is a motivation for me to work harder.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:25 PM

[quote name='CKit' date='Jan 2 2009, 09:56 PM']The Honda was a Trailer Queen last year.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:09 PM

I bought a S2000 a month ago and is trying to sell my corolla. Go go corolla!

Honestly, I think your professional image can be different than your personal image. If it's the accountant's job to tell his clients that they loss 30% of their retirement money and drives a Bentley, that's fine. What you do in your personal life is entirely up to you. What you do at your work, how well you do your job, how professional you are to your clients are irrelevant to what car you drive.

It's also an age factor too. I'm 24. I don't have a mortgage, or kids. I don't have a retirement plan yet which I know is bad. But I said to my friend the other day who lost 20k in his retirement saving since the recession that I would have rather spent that 20k on a s2000 lol. He wasn't very impressed.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:02 PM
nt7

Regardless you still have to consider what YOU want vs what you need.
And once u have what you need and you have excess spending ability then you know what have at it!
im 24 and i own 2 cars only because i have penny penched for the last 6years trying to save for the dream cars i want. I keep no debts to allow all my cash to be availble while making sure i am working on my retirement.
So people get jealous that some young punk bought the car he has been looking at for the past 6 years...and? they bought they escalades and their huge SUV or now they just saving gas with their electrics. Good for them or Bad for them it was their choices. Im not living my life to make my neighbors feel good about theirs. I will be nice and polite and treat them as my neighbors. But i will continue to enjoy my car's and toys that i buy.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by CKit' date='Jan 3 2009, 01:26 PM
I like how the dichotomy splits by overall age and s2ki.com age.
Yeah, I'm generally not too impressed by the S2ki posters who have been here less than 200 days. I guess I'm just a cranky old man on this board though.

I know what you're saying and can definitely see your point. My wife and I signed a contract yesterday to build a new house and when I told one of my friends he told me how worried he was about his job. It definitely made me feel bad for him and grateful for my work situation.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people assume I get great gas mileage in a little Honda. Wrong! I get 18 MPG in city driving and that is "conspicuous consumption." But it is the right kind, sort of private and I enjoy it.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:13 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

So am I understanding this right?

One one side, we have CKit and others saying driving a Honda, even an S2000, is good because it won't upset economy car drivers, and flaunting money (for example, buying a Carman) is tacky... and the S2000 is a great car to get these days.

On the other side, folks on s2ki for less than 200 days, including my_slow_civic, are saying that if one has the means, one shouldn't feel any remorse for a large purchase... and the S2000 is a great car to get these days.

I'm trying to summarize what appears to be what one "side" is saying about the other. Everybody seems to agree about the S2000 being a great car, so I really don't understand the hostility and personal attacks.

Anyway, I figured I'd add my two cents - if I were in the market for a new car, I'd give zero consideration of what others think. (Except perhaps two or three particular individuals.) That said, I think the S2000 is an excellent car to own, or purchase if you don't already have one, these days. Even so, there are a number of sports/sporty cars that are as cheap as, or cheaper than, an S2000 so I don't think the economy is going to do much to boost sales relative to other cars. I suspect It'll slump just as much as everything else.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:39 AM

I don't think my/your finances are anyone else's business but your own. If I or you have the money to afford an s2k then why not? If it's what you want, and you've done your homework, and work your D*ck off... pardon my french, but I mean it's not that big of a deal.

"YOU are memories, without them we equal nothing" -Avenged sevenfold lyrics. Money doesn't mean a thing once you're dead... Live life the way you want to...

Quick Reply: Does the recession make the S2000 more relevant?