S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Does the recession make the S2000 more relevant?

Old 01-02-2009, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What? I can't read any of that. Your ego, screaming for attention, is in the way.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:42 PM

holy crap. this got personal and hostile really fast.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:48 PM

back to something earlier in this post, not caring about what people think about you is a luxury. it might make you cool/hip/rebellious, but more likely it just makes you look like a jackass. some people need to be aware of the image they present.

how would you like to be the accountant who tells their client that their retirement is gone because of the stock losses and then drives away in his Bently?

or in my case the officer who counsels his airmen on responsible spending to make sure they don't foreclose their family homes? an S is already pushing what i think is a responsible image.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:05 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Despite the hostility in the thread, I find the thread completely relevant.

True, many people, myself included, own an S as a second or third car. Given the low price of entry nowadays (especially for high mileage samples), the reasonable fuel efficiency, and the reliability given appropriate care of the car, the S is a perfect fun car for a recession. Just about anybody can afford one at this point.

In a pinch, it also makes a great DD and many people here use it that way....after all...."it's just a Honda".

I don't think it's THAT conservative looking.....but then I've bought Hondas for 20 years, so I guess that I would think that.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:48 AM

I feel that if you have earned it then you should get whatever the hell you want... people that are envious are usually the ones that really face this money crisis in the first place by outliving their on means!! they can just watch me from their window as i drive about in the oldschool HUGE GAS GUZZLING lambo 4x4... now that was a waste of money!lol
Old 01-03-2009, 06:35 AM

I feel that the recession makes affordable supercars like the Ariel Atom 3 more relevant !
Old 01-03-2009, 06:44 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickamsweet' date='Jan 3 2009, 05:48 AM
I feel that if you have earned it then you should get whatever the hell you want...
Old 01-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like how the dichotomy splits by overall age and s2ki.com age.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomie' date='Jan 2 2009, 11:48 PM
back to something earlier in this post, not caring about what people think about you is a luxury. it might make you cool/hip/rebellious, but more likely it just makes you look like a jackass. some people need to be aware of the image they present.

how would you like to be the accountant who tells their client that their retirement is gone because of the stock losses and then drives away in his Bently?

or in my case the officer who counsels his airmen on responsible spending to make sure they don't foreclose their family homes? an S is already pushing what i think is a responsible image.

That's what I'm talking about. In real life, I don't want to make people feel bad. I could "do whatever the hell I want with my money" but choose not to.

But it's interesting that this little social experiment thread brought out such strong feelings... and it's just the interweb. What do people think is going to happen in the real world? People feel strongly about these things. This thread has proved that. Even for the people who "don't care." They DO care.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:04 AM

My S2000 is my DD. Granted, I don't drive to work (public transit), so the car has proven to be a relatively safe choice for me.

I picked it up cheap, it has been cheap to maintain, okay on gas, and isn't horrendous to insure. There were of course smarter choices, but I figure that if I'm going to dump money into a car, I may as well get something I can enjoy in shitty times like these.

Quick Reply: Does the recession make the S2000 more relevant?