S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

does this make ANY sense?

Old 09-16-2001, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does this make ANY sense?

just installed the spoon n1 exhaust friday and immediately after installing i drove 4 hours to nopi. i LOVE THIS EXHAUST. sounds great (if loud is your thing) but i am confused on a couple of things. the exhaust volume level seems to steadily increase until somewher around 5k then it steadys out. what i don't get is when v-tec engages the sound changes altogether (almost dies) i still have the power kick but no extra sound as i do through the rest of the rpm range. any input would be appreciated. i did not use the test pipe or the silencer and i did reset the ecu. there is a definite power increase (measured only by the butt dyno so far) the other thing i'm having trouble with is that with the stock exhaust while under hard exelleraion i almost always chirped second. with the new spoon exhaust i have to try like hell to do this, is this possibly because the spoon exhaust is allowing me to get to my shift point quicker and changing the overall dynamics? btw the spoon header will be installed by weeks end when ups delivers it.

one final question is anyone else having severe grinding on high rev shifts into second (sometimes won't shift at all untill revs drop.

thank - you
Old 09-16-2001, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really floor it, you'll notice a slight change in exhaust tune from stock in VTEC. It'll get more and more noticeable with time, also if you install the header, it'll become even more noticeable and sounds even better in VTEC! Have someone you trust rev the engine to vtec and listen from a few feet behind the car and appreciate what other drivers hear as you accellerate!

As for chirping in second, the Spoon exhaust I think adds enough power that it smooths out the transition as the RPM's drop.

I'm not having severe grinding. Also you might want to read this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...ghlight=synchro
Old 09-16-2001, 04:01 PM

Do me a favor. Drive with the intake cover off and tell me if you notice a loss of power. I drove with it off when I had just the exhaust (have Spoon header now) and I didn't notice any loss of power. At least not like it was when I had the cover off without the exhaust.

Let me know what you think
Old 09-16-2001, 04:27 PM
Spammer

Originally posted by What The

I didn't notice a loss of power at first, but when you've been driving around for a bit that hot air starts to take it's toll. That was when I felt response being more sluggish.
Actually, you do lose a lot of torque. The mass airflow gets messed up as the airbox cover is removed, causing an unsteady flow of air to the throttle body.
Old 09-16-2001, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by What The

I didn't notice a loss of power at first, but when you've been driving around for a bit that hot air starts to take it's toll. That was when I felt response being more sluggish.
Hmm...I don't remember doing a prolonged stop and go with the airbox cover off and with the Spoon exhaust. The difference that I noticed was that I didn't feel an immediate drop in power like I did when I had the airbox cover off without the exhaust. I'll try doing a prolonged stop and go test later.
Old 09-16-2001, 06:13 PM

i had the same findings - the longer i drove and the more the engine bay heated up the more power i lost.
just thought it would be louder in v-tec since it's so damn loud at driving rpm.
makes sense though about not catching second, just thought the extra torque would've made it jump more not smoother.
Old 09-16-2001, 06:15 PM

btw - how much louder is it after adding the header? what intake do you have? i'm using mingsters.
Old 09-16-2001, 07:27 PM

no intake. The header only amplifies the sound in VTEC...you'll hear that throaty sound more when in VTEC. It sounds like this inside the car but more of that high pitched rasp: http://128.200.136.106/steveuci/MOV01340x.MPG

Power is good in top end and low end. Stronger high gear accelleration after 4000RPM. Feel a little bit more power in VTEC as well.