S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Does lowering S2000 induce oversteer?

Old 05-13-2003, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does lowering S2000 induce oversteer?

I have read that lowering your S2000 will cause the already twitcht rear to oversteer MORE often. Anyone know if this is true or have any experience with it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:45 PM
Former Sponsor

From what I researched..
Only Spoon and Bilsteion coil over has stiffer front springs than rear which actually reduces oversteer.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:48 PM

I am lowered .625" in the front and .75" in the rear I am on JIC Magic Coil overs. I haven't had an oversteer problem.

Big Front sway bar like the MUZ whiteline would most likely expel an oversteer problem
Old 05-13-2003, 08:50 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CMiS2K
[B]I am lowered .625" in the front and .75" in the rear I am on JIC Magic Coil overs. I haven't had an oversteer problem.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:52 PM

increasing tire pressure in the front induces over steer.
stiffening rear springs induces oversteer. stiffen front will induce understeer
firmer rear shock setting will induce oversteer(must have adjustable shocks)
bigger stiffer rear sway bar will induce oversteer.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:56 PM

I paid 1400 for used JIC Magic coil overs I know you can these NEW on this board from a sponsor for $1500-1700.00

MUZ whiteline 30mm solid front sway bar $200.00 USD, that included international shipping. They are in Australia and offer the most affordable front sway bar, in my opinion.

here is a good link that has the info you may want to study.

https://www.s2ki.com/article/articleview/17/1/9/

I wish I would have gone to the front sway bar before spending well over 1K on Full suspension.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by CMiS2K
increasing tire pressure in the front induces over steer.
stiffening rear springs induces oversteer. stiffen front will induce understeer
firmer rear shock setting will induce oversteer(must have adjustable shocks)
bigger stiffer rear sway bar will induce oversteer.
Increasing front tire pressure will actually increase understeer.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:27 PM

read the information in the link I listed above. That where I am getting this information.

thanks
Old 05-13-2003, 09:41 PM

But why would you like to reduce oversteer? Since I own s2000, I'm trying to do the opposite, reduce the understeer/increase oversteer.

Anyway, I suggest you reduce the rear tire pressure (I would not go less than 80% of stock prescribed pressure) and see how do you like the change. If you still find too much oversteer, go to wheel alignment and increase the rear camber. If you think the rears are too soft, increase the rear tire pressure. You can also try higher grip tyre at the back. But I think wheel alignment and tire pressure will surely satisfy you. It is so easy to completely modify the car handling and it's a big waste, if you don't get familiar with wheel alignment basics and do some experimenting with it and tire pressure. You will get so much more from your car... For example, I'm changing the wheel alignment and tire pressures according to wheather changes / tire replacing. For the last three months the temperatures raised for almost 20 degrees C, and the car handling changed so much, from oversteer friendly to understeered heavy front... I've done wheel alignment 2 times since that, and with each I am more satisfied - the car always behaves as I want it to - the purpose of alignment. Hoped I helped a bit.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:53 PM

I see the link, but this is still incorrect information. Less tire pressure will give you more grip and less stability, no matter front or rear. You can try it out yourself. Go to a turn you know well and do couple of runs (and try to have constant tire temps - warmed a bit), increase the fronts pressure for 20% or more and try again. The difference should be noticeable.

Quick Reply: Does lowering S2000 induce oversteer?