S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Does having to rev your car to get usable power...

Old 08-20-2005, 02:50 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by johnyboy32,Aug 19 2005, 05:21 PM
To answer your question...no.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I just drive this car all wrong, but when I'm going from a stop, I don't fully engage the clutch until 2500RPMs or more! I'm probably burning it out prematurely, but so what. The car just takes off with this approach.

Cheers
Old 08-20-2005, 02:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wvphoto,Aug 19 2005, 06:54 AM

here is what i drive when i feel the need for low end torque.. i love the s2k for twisty roads and spriited driving.

not many cars are as much fun as the corvette z06 for autox'ing and racing .. i did a track event DE at the nashville speedway last month..
wow

i get the gas mileage in town with the honda..
however the z06 gets 31.1 on trips.. six speed at 75mph = 1800 rpms..

yea baby..
which car do you prefer driving?
Old 08-20-2005, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by kenstyle,Aug 20 2005, 02:20 PM
which car do you prefer driving?
right now ... i am enjoying the honda.. i have a buddy that owns a dealership.. so i get pretty darn good treatment.. i have had a honda civic hybird.. an element.. still have a pilot and the s2k.

the vette is just raw power.. at all ranges.. i also have a 100 shot of NOS for fun..

it is just a raw beast..

the s2000 is just fun to drive.. and a head turner.. not a lot of them here in the charleston area.. good gas mileage.. and fun on the twisties..

i am really enjoying it now..

i just got a new set of chrome rims and yokahama tires 19/18 for the vette.. i think i will install them tomorrow after the autocross.. then.. big pimpin' .. i will drive the vette most of the week with the new shoes..
Old 08-20-2005, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by wvphoto,Aug 20 2005, 05:49 PM
right now ... i am enjoying the honda.. i have a buddy that owns a dealership.. so i get pretty darn good treatment.. i have had a honda civic hybird.. an element.. still have a pilot and the s2k.

the vette is just raw power.. at all ranges.. i also have a 100 shot of NOS for fun..

it is just a raw beast..

the s2000 is just fun to drive.. and a head turner.. not a lot of them here in the charleston area.. good gas mileage.. and fun on the twisties..

i am really enjoying it now..

i just got a new set of chrome rims and yokahama tires 19/18 for the vette.. i think i will install them tomorrow after the autocross.. then.. big pimpin' .. i will drive the vette most of the week with the new shoes..
Hey im from charleston as well..what dealership are you talking about? Lester Raines? You wouldnt happen to know what they are asking for 05s do you?
Old 08-20-2005, 06:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Today I realized another benefit to owning a car with dual personalities - gas mileage!

I kept my car in it's mild mannered persona and kept my gas mileage way up. I may be rich, but paying $2.89 for a gallon of gas just pi$$e$ me off!

I just love it's Casper Milquetoast, gas sipping mode. Just try that in your V8!! On the hwy with high gears some cars with bigger engines can do it, but not starting and stopping in In town traffice and neighborhood streets.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our s2k has PLENTY of torque. I mean, what other 2.0 litre NA motor makes 150-160 lbs of torque? The TC? Yeah, it also has only 160 hp too. That car isn't accused of having little torque, and it's a 2.4 litre. The only reason people say it has no torque is because of the high hp it makes. Our little 2.0 litre I4 competes with modern day cars like the elise and 350z, and even pulls on V8 mustangs. That is effing impressive. No torque? Wind it up to 9k. I don't think I'd be happy driving any car that didn't rev to at least 8k. I came from a B16a MY00 civic Si and the 8k redline is why I bought that car.

Our car makes up for the "little" amount of torque with high redline and high hp. I think that's A-OK!!
Old 08-22-2005, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by AmazinglySmooth,Aug 20 2005, 11:22 AM
Maybe I just drive this car all wrong, but when I'm going from a stop, I don't fully engage the clutch until 2500RPMs or more! I'm probably burning it out prematurely, but so what. The car just takes off with this approach.

Cheers
jeez, you could be a little easier on your car
Old 08-22-2005, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by hpark,Aug 22 2005, 09:39 AM
jeez, you could be a little easier on your car
What's that smell? Another fire along the highway or are they putting in new asphalt ... again. Maybe some jerk, up ahead, left his parking brakes set on the interstate. Seems like I'm always driving through these foul odors and putting the damn top up doesn't seem to make any difference. That's OK though, this S is really cool, now that I've got this left-pedal thing figured out.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:33 AM

The only reason i may not get an 's' is due to the high revving nature of the engine. I have a feeling it will get annoying and as i drive like a lunatic anyway, i think i am going to want to be in vtec the whole time which = tickets.

It is either the stang cobra (i had a gt already and they are a good old laugh), a boxster or the s2k. I am sure i will love the s2k - it is rare when you compare it to most cars, especially in LA, looks good and handles very well. I am also factoring in the cost of servicing. That will most likely stop me getting the boxster. The 350 z is a car i may test out, but i want a cabriolet.

Ugh.

Quick Reply: Does having to rev your car to get usable power...