S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Does having to rev your car to get usable power...

Old 08-19-2005, 12:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fortunately, this car is what it is...a car that requires some knowledgeable driver inputs to get the most out of it's capabilities. Chosing the correct gear to be in instead of just stomping on the gas peddle is just one of the knowledgeable inputs you'll have to make. That's what makes it fun and challenging. If you want to be a lazy driver, then there are many other vehicles out there to chose from. Maybe a V-8 with an automatic transmission would be your preference instead. Only you can decide how much actual driving that you're willing to do with a car. The S2k requires a lot of actual thoughtful driving. You can't just get in it and be stupid like you can with a V-6 or V-8 automatic.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suppose it depends on your driving style. Most all of my driving is kept below 4500 RPM's when shifting and cruising. I stay in 6th gear on the highway and very rarely have to downshift to pass anyone. When I do have to downshift it is never a chore and puts a huge grin across my face.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:21 PM

To answer your question...no.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Paul55100,Aug 20 2005, 12:54 AM
Comptech SC -- /DONE

Or get a beater, like the guy above...

Centrifugal superchargers like the Comptech and Vortech do not provide huge low end boost like a roots type blower. Until about 3000 rpm there are neglible gains, and you would probably be losing power under 2500 rpm due to the power required to drive the s/c.

Having said that, it is quite easy to keep this car (in stock form) above 2500rpm, and I would never suggest trying to drive at a lower rpm.

Crawling along in traffic sucks at anytime, no matter what car you are driving.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, I never get tired of it because there is a lack of power only by comparison to on cam and VTEC. The car has ample power and pick up in almost every situation. Like many have said, it isn't possible to VTEC in normal driving, you'd be too fast.

I liken it to a split personality like Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde.

Around town I can drive the sane version. I never have to think, only drive. On the weekends, or whenever I get a wild hair, I bring it up to VTEC and never let it off until I am satisfied.

The gearing is great. Once it is on VTEC, unless you do something stupid you can keep the car on VTEC around the road/autocross course or down the strip.

It's like getting two! Two! Two cars in one!
Old 08-19-2005, 05:43 PM

and when you put the top down - it becomes four!
Old 08-19-2005, 07:00 PM

IMO its got decent low end punch as long as you are in the proper gear. I love the multiple personalities of this car. Anytime I'm above 6k its an instant smile from ear to ear. If you love to row your own gears then this is the car for you. If not then say hello to the 350z.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agree with wisconsin and ronin. if u shift too early, it feels weak. but the car, IS NOT WEAK, driven correctly. im still getting used to hearing the sound of the engine cuz it sounds like it's gonna explode, but it's all in my head. having more power down low wouldn't mess up the car, but it really isn't necessary.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:32 PM

wait, on the AP2's, the VTEC crossover is still at 6000rpm (approx), even WITH the lowered redline? hmmm, with the use of a VAFC, would lowering the VTEC crossover do any good in terms of freeing up power or smooth-a-fying the powercurve?

sorry its off subject...
Old 08-20-2005, 02:14 AM

i hate to say this but i bought the car because it is weak. No torque and even when flogging on her there is little power. the hard life i live

Quick Reply: Does having to rev your car to get usable power...