S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Does having to rev your car to get usable power...

Old 08-19-2005, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is what i drive when i feel the need for low end torque.. i love the s2k for twisty roads and spriited driving.

not many cars are as much fun as the corvette z06 for autox'ing and racing .. i did a track event DE at the nashville speedway last month..
wow

i get the gas mileage in town with the honda..
however the z06 gets 31.1 on trips.. six speed at 75mph = 1800 rpms..

yea baby..
Old 08-19-2005, 06:54 AM

Comptech SC -- /DONE

Or get a beater, like the guy above...

Old 08-19-2005, 07:10 AM

my first car was a 95 civic with a B16 and then i went to a Mustang GT with some goodies and i flipped back over to Honda so i know what it feels like to have that low-end torque and what it means to revs the car to 8000rpms to get the full power.
i still like the S better. you can just chill around town and when you want more power just mash down on the gas pedal. i remember in the mustang i needed to constantly feather the throttle cuz i didn't want to make the tires lose traction...that was no fun. sure it went fast in a straight line and sounded mean but that got old real quick.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:45 AM

I personally love how the S2000 has dual personalities. Around town, you can easily drive below 6000 RPM and still be in front of everyone else. Believe it or not, even those people with huge low-end torque don't always floor it around town. The car is as tractable as an Accord.

But then if you want to have a little fun, there's always that upper realm where the car screams and you can wreak a little havoc. I've always wished they could have lowered the VTEC engagement point on the 04+, it doesn't seem fair to only have 2000 RPM to play with before redline.

Those who say "who would want to rev a car to 9k to get all the power out of it?" obviously have never tried it
Old 08-19-2005, 07:48 AM

Nope. Its always fun to see the tach go to 9K
Old 08-19-2005, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Day to day driving in traffic it does get a little old...

But, it's all worth it when I go to the track (one's that have turns)...
Old 08-19-2005, 08:21 AM

If you don't like high rev engine, then it's not the right car for you.

I don't feel that the S is under power at all. Just step on it and you will pass most cars from a stop light or down shift to pass most cars on highways. It's wonderful on 2-lane twisty country roads. I've found that a lot of cars are struggling to keep up with me specially on twisty roads.

With the top down, I'm smilling all the way.

Cheers,
Old 08-19-2005, 08:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it has plenty of go even without pushing it. Who really wants to be the first one to get right behind the stinking school bus anyway?
Old 08-19-2005, 09:01 AM

My honest opinion on this? The F22C (or even the F20C) has great torque for being an engine tuned to be a high revving engine. When you look at our engine, it is obviously designed for high rev power delivery. (ex. Short, fat intake manifold runners)

For Honda to have been able to get the engine to operate as well as it does in the low RPM range, now that is a testament to their engineering ability... Just my opinion : )
Old 08-19-2005, 09:04 AM

Even with the AP2, you have to make good gear choices to stay in the power-band. I got my S2K because I enjoy driving and the car allows me to improve my driving skills while providing reasonable fuel economy when that's more important. There were many choices of cars that had more horsepower or torque over a broader power-range, but none deliver the fuel economy and the tight feel of the S2K. In the S, I can have the performance of a race car as long as I make intelligent gear choices. I once read about Albert Einstein, that he most liked to sail when others parked their boats because of inadequate wind. I don't claim to be the Einstein of driving, although I find the S2K to be appealing because driver-skills and gear choices make so much difference in the performance of the car. No, I'm not bi-polar ... I just like the range of personalities offered by the S and the fact that I can challenge my driving skills or have reasonable economy, depending on my decisions.

Quick Reply: Does having to rev your car to get usable power...