S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Does the fumitomo valve void drivetrain warranty?

Old 11-10-2010, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the fumitomo valve void drivetrain warranty?

i currently have the fumitomo quickdrain valve installed and have the honda 100k mile drivetrain warranty. does this valve void the warranty if i were to bring my car in one day for a drivetrain related problem?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:12 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Technically if the dealer can prove that the fumitomo valve caused the problem then yes it will void the warranty. Its not that hard to swap it out is it? If I were you Id swap the stocker back in. It just eliminates the possibility of future dealership hassles.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue,Nov 11 2010, 12:12 AM
Technically if the dealer can prove that the fumitomo valve caused the problem then yes it will void the warranty. Its not that hard to swap it out is it? If I were you Id swap the stocker back in. It just eliminates the possibility of future dealership hassles.
that's what i was thinking. i'll just put the stock one back on during my next oil change to avoid any future hassles.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Hell no. As long as the thing doesn't leak all your oil out there is no other (legitimate) claim they can make against it. If a valve drops, or a bearing seizes and they try to blame a oil drain valve I'd laugh in their face. They can try that crap on somebody else.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:33 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MP2k,Nov 11 2010, 12:21 AM
Hell no. As long as the thing doesn't leak all your oil out there is no other (legitimate) claim they can make against it. If a valve drops, or a bearing seizes and they try to blame a oil drain valve I'd laugh in their face. They can try that crap on somebody else.
totally agree!!!!

unless it leaks and all your oil runs out, it's not capable of doing anything that would void your warranty (it's just a plug in a hole.....and as long as it does that, the dealership can't claim it caused anything...)
Old 11-10-2010, 08:35 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

No issues, just like there are no issues with k&n filters
Old 11-11-2010, 06:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a warranty claim denied for my diff because I had an intake. I took it up to corporate Honda america and they didn't budge. The said and I quote "the added horsepower from the intake cause the diff to be stressed and failed" my response "the auto genius Honda designed this car with so much precision yet on the diff if the horsepower is increased by 5-10 more it causes the diff to fail?" I went back and forth as he then defended the design of the car yet then contradicted himself by stating the intake voided it. I finally got above his head and got it approved. I had an AEM intake and faxed the paper from there website to Honda of America and at the bottom wrote let me know if I need to cal my lawyer. By the end of the day the dealership called and got approval
Old 11-11-2010, 02:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2,Nov 10 2010, 11:35 PM
No issues, just like there are no issues with k&n filters
No, not 'just like'.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you blew an engine that was because of oil starvation, or pressure, then I could see an argument on behalf of the dealership.

Otherwise I don't see what leg they'd have to stand on in other warranty matters.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta go with the initial advice. Sure we all know that the oil drain valve is not a problematic item,but why push it. If you develop a drivetrain related issue,just take the dang thing off and install the factory plug. Who wants to argue the point with some boneheaded service dept if it can be prevented. We already know that dealerships in general frown on warranty claims and will look for any reason available to deter one.

Quick Reply: Does the fumitomo valve void drivetrain warranty?