S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Does the convertible top matter?

Old 11-06-2002 | 08:13 PM

Originally posted by S2Thizzle
The rest, I believe, were attracted by the S2000's high output/high revving engine, unique style, and exclusivity before they ever considered buying a convertible.
Old 11-06-2002 | 09:01 PM

Got it for the car itself and wasn't really looking to buy a convertible, maybe that's why I got a hardtop few months later. Convertible top a bonus
Old 11-06-2002 | 09:13 PM

The convertible was actually one of the only things that turned me away from the car. Huge blind spots, harder to take care of, more mechanics that can fail, and until the '02 there was the nasty plastic window that would be hard to see out of... But one test drive in it and I was hooked. Just about the only time I had the top up was when it was raining or parked! In 40 degree weather I have the top down with the heater on full blast and my jacket on!! Gawd I love my roadster!!
Old 11-06-2002 | 09:31 PM

For me it had to be a convertible ..... I was happy to look at any convertibles for the money I was willing to spend, until I drove my friend's S2000 ..... I then doubled the amount I was intending to spend and bought one !!!!
Old 11-07-2002 | 01:29 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2kskibum
[B]Wife was headed to the Porsche dealership for my 40th bday present. Stopped at Honda to ask for directions. Needed a replacement for my POS '64 Corvair Monza convert. Think I would have had to kill her if she had bought me the Porsche... naw! But you see a lot more of them!
Old 11-07-2002 | 03:49 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Having been an MG Midget owner in the 70's and with my kids flown the nest, I was definitely in the market for a roadster last year. Short-listed were the Z3 3.0, TT225, Spyder, Boxster and TVR. The first two failed my own test drives (unexciting and bland), the Spyder had crap magazine road test results, the Boxster was out of my price range and the TVR has reliability problems - so I was stymied and at a loss as to what to buy. Then my mate in Toronto said "What about the Honda S2000?" I went off to find out what this was... and I've never looked back

So I guess my answer is that, if the S2000 was only available as a coupe, I would never have bought it.

Pete
Old 11-07-2002 | 04:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by boiler
[B]For me, it was time for another sports car. Sports car = two seats, terrific handling, slick shifting manual transmission and of course it HAS to be a roadster. Light weight and 240 HP didn't hurt either.
Old 11-07-2002 | 05:35 AM

I didn't think much at first about the drop top, until I took it down my favorite back road with the top down. The leaves were changing and it was about 50 degrees. I can't imagine not driving a drop top ever again.

I live in new england, I've had the top down for 28 degree nights breathing steam from my mouth. I just point the heaters at my hand and is all worth it. Sometimes I wish I was not driving so I could look up more often, until I hit 6k

Although my GF doesn't appreciate it as much (she's a lightweight). Anyone know if they sell heated gloves that plug into the lighter socket?

My GF's dad took me out for a ride on his honda motorcycle, I loved the open air. So I got the nearest thing to a bike. I knew I'd get my self hurt on a bike (not enough self control).

There is a reson convertables cost 3-5k more than their coupe counterparts. It's well worth it.

-Ed
Old 11-07-2002 | 06:29 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by QPhox4
[B]

More ponies--never satisfied
Old 11-07-2002 | 12:42 PM

My first roadster ride was in my brother-in-law's 2000. I had to have one after I graduated! I looked around the Internet when I was considering the S2K. A lot cheaper, for sure, around $8-9K, but funny what you remember. After driving the S2K, the 2000 was REALLY Spartan. The add was from 1968.

Quick Reply: Does the convertible top matter?