S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Does the convertible top matter?

Old 11-06-2002 | 11:46 AM

Didn't really care that it was or wasn't a convertible. (Look where I live.) The fact that it is one, just happened to be a bonus. I like the car with the hardtop on just as much.
Old 11-06-2002 | 12:03 PM

I've gotten use to t-tops and convertible, along with having a motorcycle. I had to have a ragtop, looked at Z3's, vette's, Boxters, TA's, Mustangs, and Cameros. It was a tough choice for me, as I really like the fell of the American straight line drag cars (there are no curves in Florida, so straight line is pretty much all we have). I got the S though, I dream of taking it out of state on an nice road trip with mountians and waterfalls. I use to live in Oregon, so I know what great roads are like. Wish I had this car when I lived there.
Old 11-06-2002 | 12:22 PM

I was looking at MR2 for a long time(Never thought of S2000 because of the high price) One day I went to Toyota dealer to ask how much and they quoted me 28k. I was like, with that kind of money, I could almost buy an S2000. So I ended up spending a little more and have been so happy with what happened.

*I would've bought MR2 if they quoted me msrp and regreted all these time
Old 11-06-2002 | 12:50 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ssanae77
[B]I was looking at MR2 for a long time(Never thought of S2000 because of the high price) One day I went to Toyota dealer to ask how much and they quoted me 28k. I was like, with that kind of money, I could almost buy an S2000. So I ended up spending a little more and have been so happy with what happened.
Old 11-06-2002 | 01:08 PM

Definitely the car sold itself to me. I wasn't a convertable person either (my next car, whenever that is, probably won't be a ragtop). However the S2k was simply in line with everything I wanted in a high-performance car (including accessible price-point). It had good acceleration, a flat torque curve (indicating full use of the engine's capabilities across the RPM range), exceptional turning/cornering ability, great maneuverability and handling. Before the S, a car was simply a way to get from A to B.

If it had a coupe version, I'd have bought that instead. Initially the soft top appeared to me to be a maintenance sinkhole, requiring considerable extra work to keep it in good shape. Fortunately that turned out not to be the case (other than the modified cleaning routine vs hardtop cars) But I'm definitely a convert to convertables now
Old 11-06-2002 | 01:26 PM

I've lived in Southern California all of my life and have never had a convertible. I finally decided to get one and was actually looking at used RX-7 convertibles. When the S2K came out, I knew it was the car for me.
Old 11-06-2002 | 04:13 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ralper
[B]This is sort of related to a discussion that is going on in another thread.
Old 11-06-2002 | 04:37 PM

Never had a convertible before. My S2000 is a second car/adult toy. I looked at the Boxster S and Z3. Bottom line is that Honda delivers more fun for the $$$. Northern California has some beautiful days and gorgeous country for a roadster.
Old 11-06-2002 | 07:24 PM

For me, it was time for another sports car. Sports car = two seats, terrific handling, slick shifting manual transmission and of course it HAS to be a roadster. Light weight and 240 HP didn't hurt either.

The first sports car that I had when my kids were very small was a classic roadster, a Datsun 1600 Roadster. I really enjoyed it until I needed a larger car. The kids have been gone for a while and it was time for a NEW roadster.

I have not been disappointed, but must admit sometimes that I wish it had two more cylinders. I can just imagine a 3 liter inline six that has 360 HP... WOW!
Old 11-06-2002 | 07:36 PM
Gold Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by boiler
[B]. Sports car = two seats, terrific handling, slick shifting manual transmission and of course it HAS to be a roadster.

Quick Reply: Does the convertible top matter?