S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Does the convertible top matter?

Old 11-05-2002 | 11:52 PM

Default Does the convertible top matter?

Did you purchase the S2000 because you were looking for a convertible (roadster), and ended up choosing it? Or were you attracted to the car without even thinking about it's convertible top?

To be honest, I never liked convertibles, and never thought of owning one. However, I loved the S2000 from the moment I read about it, regardless of a non-existant fixed hardtop. When I was finally able to buy one, I never really paid attention to the convertible top, and barely ever put it down (for the first week at least). Lately, I've been dropping the top, and I've realized how much of a "bonus" it is to be able to rip through the curves while being "topless." In addition, I really enjoy hearing VTEC echoing through the mountains.

In the end, I think many people were choosing between roadsters (S2000, Z3, SLK, Boxster, MR Spyder, Miata, etc.), and ended up choosing the S2000. The rest, I believe, were attracted by the S2000's high output/high revving engine, unique style, and exclusivity before they ever considered buying a convertible.

Is there any truth to my theory?
Old 11-06-2002 | 01:56 AM
Gold Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

I only considered roadsters.
Old 11-06-2002 | 04:28 AM

It has to have a ragtop if it's in my garage.
Old 11-06-2002 | 04:34 AM

Wife was headed to the Porsche dealership for my 40th bday present. Stopped at Honda to ask for directions. Needed a replacement for my POS '64 Corvair Monza convert. Think I would have had to kill her if she had bought me the Porsche... naw! But you see a lot more of them!

Its a completely impractical car for where I live - therefore, it couldn't possibly have a top!
Old 11-06-2002 | 04:40 AM

Roadster it was. Have owned motor cycles since '69. Owned a roadster '71-'72. Had a couple Z cars in between, but now that the kids are gone and 2 seats is practical again, there was NO question!
Topless, baby!
Old 11-06-2002 | 05:28 AM

ROADSTERS RULE!!!!!

Back in 1973 I bought a Porsche 914 and have longed to have a true sports car ever since. When the Miata came out, I was tempted. Then the Z3, Boxster, TT, and SLK came out, along with the S. I looked for the best value and decided on the S. I was familiar with Hondas, since I had owned a first year Prelude, '87 and a '94 Integra. So I took an S for a test drive and was sold right then and there. Boy, am I happy I made that decision.
Old 11-06-2002 | 05:42 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2Thizzle
[B]...
Old 11-06-2002 | 06:01 AM

I share S2Thizzle's sentiments. I really wasn't looking for roadster. It was S2K's looks and advanced engine that appealed to me. BUT the only other car I was looking at seriously was also a roadster, the Miata. So maybe subconsciously I wanted one. Who knows. In 15 years of driving a T-top MR2 I can count on two hands the number of times I took the top off although I LOVE to stare up and be able to see the blue sky thru the window tops. It was just such a hassle to remove the window tops and store it in the back seats so I rarely ever did it. But like S2Thizzle, the roadster feeling is really catching on with me. I drop the top on the S whenever I can.
Old 11-06-2002 | 06:04 AM

The convertible top was the main reason I purchased my S.

I rode motorcycles for twenty years, and still do... (all Hondas) and I've always wanted to own a convertible sports car since I was 17. I heard Honda was going to build a true convertible sports car a few years ago and I didn't want the Del Sol. I kept waiting and finally my patience was rewarded. I've never felt this way about any car I've owned. It is special.
Old 11-06-2002 | 06:24 AM

it was all about the car for myself.
2.0 liter, 240hp, and the aww-inspiring 9000rpm toybox!
i also love the 6-speed gearbox, and the handling ability of this car is greater 98% of all cars on the road. the top was just a plus.
but then again, i am 18 years old, and i am paying monthly for all of the above...and i wouldnt trade it for the world!

Quick Reply: Does the convertible top matter?