S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Does anybody else have a problem with their headlights blinding others?

Old 02-19-2004, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anybody else have a problem with their headlights blinding others?

People always, ALWAYS flash their brights at me, I had my car looked at by Honda and they said the headlights were normal and at normal heigth.

Only once has another S2000 been behind me and I noticed the Right headlight would shine at me, but not like I had my brights on.

Do you guys just turn the right headlight more twards the ground? I know the left was purposly put lower by Honda so on the highway people don't get blinded but in Iowa on a 2 lane highway... Its a different story
Old 02-19-2004, 07:41 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome to the board! First day, First Post.

Many have had some issues with getting flashed @ night. Part of the reason is the stiff ride of the S. The headlights bounce and it may look to on coming traffic as though you was flashing your brights. Since you had a S behind you only once, you might have seen him cooming from far off because of the color and the light bouncing. So this is very common.

Since you are new, you might want to use the Search function of the board. Looks of usefull stuff here.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:50 PM

Actually I've been here for a few months... I tried to use the search button for this with a couple of different words and couldn't find anything Thats why I registered...
Old 02-20-2004, 06:52 AM

I experienced the first s2k behind me the other day when I was in my pickup. It was an overcast day and he had his headlights on. The headlights bouncing in and out of my rearview mirror was most annoying. Of course he didn't stay behind me for long.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been pulled over before for driving with my brights on (even though they were not). Explained to the cop about the HID lights and after he was done admiring Honda's awesome creation he said "nice car" and then left. Also warned me about no front plate .
Old 02-20-2004, 07:05 AM

It is not the stiff ride that causes the projecors to flash other drivers it is the sharp cutoff of the projectors. The type of projectors used on the S2000 are E code projectors which have a sharp line of light. When the car hits a bump the light appears to flicker due to the fact there is a sharp cut off. Even cars that have s2000 projectors retrofitted to them experience the same problem. It is just the way these projectors are they are not like BMW or Mercedes projectors that flare off at the cut off line.

Old 02-20-2004, 07:20 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That was more of a problem when the HID first came out. Now that there are so many more car models around with similar lighting, people have started to become accustomed to them.

I would bet that, since there may not be that many HID equipped cars out there in Des Moines - folks may just need an edumacation. A quick application of our real brights should help them out.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:24 PM

I had merged onto the highway probobly 5 min after owning the car and got pulled over. A cop in front of slows down and pulls me over. He said that i was flashing my high beams at him. I said no they are HIDs maybe it apears that way. I told that if he wanted to i could turn my high beams on for him. He proceded to ask if they we aftermarket. He did let me go. I didn't get too mad because i could understand were he was coming from.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:45 PM

Frankly, I'm glad our headlights are a little bright and bouncy because it gets us noticed by bigger vehicles. I look at it as a safety feature like the bright lights of our two-wheel cousins.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:46 PM

My 'other' car is a new Volvo S60R, with bi-xenons. Had the dealer adjust the lamps upward a bit, because the low beam gave almost no visibility. They do not have quite as sharp a cutoff as our S2000 xenons. However, I did notice a lot of people flashing their lights at me. When the lights shine upon a wall, I found that the left headlamp was just an inch or two higher up, from a distance of about 20 feet - not much. However, when I was able to park the car facing a mirrored glass wall, I discovered that the left headlight was almost blinding in its effect, while the right was tolerable. On high beam, both were blinding. The moral of this little story is that very slight differences in the aiming can produce rather extreme differences in effect on opposing traffic. The S2000's stiff ride will produce a lot of beam jiggling, and great annoyance to others. Sorry, others, but I am keeping the S2000.

Quick Reply: Does anybody else have a problem with their headlights blinding others?