S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: Do YOU have a front license plate?
Yes
27.66%
No
72.34%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Do YOU have a front license plate?

Old 08-15-2002, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by carlson

For those of you who could read Chinese/Cantonese (Japanese use lots of chinese characters), you would find the chinese characters on the plate interesting....

It just says Nagano. What's so interesting about that?
Old 08-15-2002, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was standing behind Sheridan County Judge John Sampson at the Safeway this afternoon. We're friends. I asked Judge Sampson what the fine is in Wyoming for no front license plate. "Sixty Dollars, Barry, but if you promise you'll put the plate on, I'll lower it to $30."

"Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... $60.00" I said, indicating I could make no such promise.

He also told me that the Wyoming HP is going to laser timing instead of radar. Most of the HP cars now carry Ka radar guns, as far as I can detect.

"Detectors" are good for laser only in telling you, "Too late, fella. You're clocked." as far as I can tell. Also, laser guns will increase the wish of the HP to stop people for "no front plate" I guess.
Old 08-16-2002, 07:47 AM

Laser detectors aren't completely worthless in areas where there is a little traffic. The laser will refract some when it hits other cars and your detector can pick that up, so if a car up ahead (not nearly as far as radar though) gets painted, your detector may go off.

It also does help you in slowing down. Laser takes a little longer to get a lock on the vehicle's speed than radar does. Your headlights will also interfere slightly, giving you even more time. Sometimes all of this gives you enough time to slow down to a point where the cop might not ticket you, or the speed is less at least.
Old 08-16-2002, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My reply is two-fold. I don't have a front license plate, but then that's because I register the car in Florida, where they only require a rear license plate. My parents live there, and so I just register it under their names. I do this mostly for the registration costs. They are miniscule to what it costs in Colorado.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:03 PM

Yes, it's lives in my trunk. I didn't put one on my S4 and I'm not going to put one on my S2000. It just looks ugly. One $50 ticket for the Audi and none so far (knock on wood) for the S2000. The crappy thing is that you have to appear in court for a no plate ticket. Annoying, but worth it to me.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:25 AM

After finally tracking down some front bumper plugs (which did not come with the vehicle), I finally (illegally) took off my tags on Tuesday. Looks SOOOOO much better. Many thanks to Eddie and Jackie at Jim Coleman Honda in Clarksville, MD.

I drove my old RX-7 for 11 years without ever having a problem. But, just in case, I decided to be prepared. So, I disassembled the stock bracket to make it look broken. Then I ordered a new bracket and printed the order confirmation. I quickly cancelled that order, and threw both the "damaged" bracket and my order confirmation in the trunk. Now, if I get pulled over, I hope to have a decent story/excuse.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by S2000typeR
im getting a corvette if they dont need one.
Me too.

BTW, I've been driving my Nissan for 6 years without a front plate, and never had a problem. I drove my 'S' for 2 1/2 years with no problem till I visited Santa Barbara (CA). I Parked it, and when I came back I was tickted. I ended up having to pay $25, and did not have to prove that I put it back on. I figure this "no front plate tax" is well worth not giving my 'S' ugly braces.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:14 AM

OK, personal anecdote time:

I was in traffic court a few weeks ago getting a boating matter thrown out (DMV screw-up)...

While I was waiting, overhearing the various issues taking place, a LARGE number of people were there due to being ticketed for no front plate.

The prosecuter's were dropping their fines to $35 (the minimum) if they had proof the front plate had been installed.

They were loudly declairing, "if you're in Bridgeport with no front plate you will be ticketed". Apparently in Bridgeport, CT they are upping enforcement (perhaps due to installing photo enforcement at intersections to catch red light runners?)

My MR2, no front plate, the bright-yellow "pull-me-over" S does, but doesn't go to Bridgeport! Heh..

Randy
Old 09-24-2002, 12:21 PM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

It is the perfect way out of a speeding ticket. You get the ticket for no plate and they let you slide on the other stuff. No points and no insurance problems. I also can never find my registration for some reason unless they are going to give me a real ticket as well and then it will magically turn up.