S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Do you guys get rock chips on you FENDERS/Hood?

Old 01-31-2006, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Do you guys get rock chips on you FENDERS/Hood?

If you look at the S's fender, it is a HUGE surface area for rocks to hit opposed to other cars. Other cars have smaller fender lines and i was just wondering:

1. How easy is it to get rock chips on the FENDER/HOOD area?
2. If you do get chips, and take it to a paint shop, do they repaint the entire bumper/fender/hood or just do touch up on it?
Old 01-31-2006, 05:33 AM

The fenders and hood do chip, sorry. The bumper obviously gets hit more, but doesn't seem to chip as badly.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A paint shop will do whatever you tell them to do. Touch up paint can look good, but a full respray of the panels will obviously look better. The only problem with this is it might not match the rest of the car in color or sheen. This is combated by blending the new paint into the adjacent panel.

A simple solution is to get a clear 3M bra for the bumper, hood, and fenders. I plan to do this in the spring.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Every car gets paint chips. I have a nose mask for long trips after I got a huge crack in the front from a big rock off of a truck.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by vtec9,Jan 31 2006, 06:52 AM
A paint shop will do whatever you tell them to do. Touch up paint can look good, but a full respray of the panels will obviously look better. The only problem with this is it might not match the rest of the car in color or sheen. This is combated by blending the new paint into the adjacent panel.

A simple solution is to get a clear 3M bra for the bumper, hood, and fenders. I plan to do this in the spring.
well, if the paint shop has more skill, then obviously, the color will come back damn near close to OEM paint job, no?
Old 02-01-2006, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The flat areas above the headlights are the most at risk on the front fenders. The mirrors take a beating...and the front bumper...don't ge started on that one. I keep a touch up guy's # on my speedial. If you're worried about rock chips, pick a color that's easy to blend. Sometimes they can touch up, sometimes depending on the severity they can do a spot blend.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:56 AM

Dude, My 05 with 1800 miles on it has more rock chips on my front, hood, and the windshield than my previous 03 with 14K miles. I wish I had the clear bra on right after I purchased mine.

I had my 03 when I was living in FL and the current 05 when I move to SF, CA. Good lord the road in CA is f'n worst than anywhere else. I can't wait to move back to East.

I figure if I stay in CA then repaint the bumper in a couple of years or if I move back to FL then sell the car and pick up a new one there.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:04 AM

clear bra? Ain't need no stinkin' clear bra....

That was my car by the way....After constantly touching up the front end after group drives I took the correct step. Beats blue Painter's tape
Old 02-01-2006, 11:00 AM

fawk yeah i do!
Old 02-01-2006, 11:58 AM

I put a clear bra on myself which I will never do again btw (hard as hell to fit even with a precut and turned out fair, let a pro do it next time) and I prefer the bra to all the paint chips that I was getting. I can see rock hits on the bra that would have done major damage to the paint otherwise.

clear bra

Quick Reply: Do you guys get rock chips on you FENDERS/Hood?