S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

do you feel safe while working under your car?

Old 11-17-2010, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do you feel safe while working under your car?

I don't know about you, but I have the fear of the car coming down on me while I'm working under it. I usually have jack stands for support. But I think of myself as a really strong guy, so when I unscrew something for example I might cause the car to fall on me. I'm I just way to paranoid or are there others with me. This would probably be one of my few fears in life.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:05 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I usually try and wedge a wheel or something to break the fall if a jack stand should fail. I also try and make sure the wife is around or knows that I'm wrenching when I'm under the car. I also try and push the car from the side for stability before getting under.

But it makes me nervous, too.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:09 PM

if i am under the car i use jack stands and i also add cinderblocks for added security.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:13 PM

There are a lot of people who fear being crushed by their car while working on it. It can be an unsafe place to be. I was a mechanic for almost 10 years and got use to being under cars all the time. I was literally under 1000s of cars. Knowing how to jack up and support a vehicle properly makes being under a car safer. But its still not something to be taken lightly. When a car is properly supported it is harder to knock off jack stands then your strength.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:57 PM

work with a cell phone in your pocket. it gives me some security
Old 11-17-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noone with good sense ever feels completely safe working under a car on jackstands and blocks. But then most of these people are still around to talk about it. That's why I wish I had a service pit to drive on and perform undercar work.Currently I use drive on ramps and jack stands and still proceed with caution.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's always in the back of my mind when I'm under a car.

Sketchiest instance that has happened so far, is the last huge earthquake we had in California, I was under a G35 when I realized it was happening. Not cool.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

when working on my car at my house i drive parallel to my curb and drive one side of my car up the drive way and onto the curb with the other side still on my street. Then jack the other side up and put jack stands. No doubt about concrete thats for sure
Old 11-17-2010, 11:22 PM

If I can, I have one end on ramps and the other on jack stands. This isn't fool proof but it helps alot. Like CKIT said, make sure someone else knows what your doing.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:08 AM
Former Moderator

I am a paranoid freak. My friends all laugh at me because if I even hear a creak while under the car, I get my ass out of there.

My solution is simple. No matter what I do, the car goes up on 4 properly positioned SUV (3 ton) jackstands.

Then, I stick the jack somewhere "incaseshit"

Then, I stick two cinderblocks under the front tires, incaseshit#2.

Paranoid much? Absolutely. Knowing your car has no chance of falling on you...priceless.

Quick Reply: do you feel safe while working under your car?