S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Do you drive slower when you have a passenger?

Old 07-19-2008, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i drive ... more controlled, slower, and far less aggressive with people in the car.

they still get scared...
Old 07-19-2008, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive slower with the GF just for safety reasons. Once in awhile on an open road I'll gun the S and she screams like shes on a roller coaster lol
Old 07-19-2008, 11:26 AM

Well out of the few girls that have rode in my s for the short time I have had it they all enjoy going fast....so I give them what they want so maybe they can give me what i want JK but I just let the pass enjoy the ride how they please. If it is their first time i will ask them if they want me to show them what it can do or not. Otherwise if they have been in the car before I just drive like any other "normal" driver.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yep. two reasons:

1. i drive quite quickly, especially around corners, which people aren't used to. most of the time, their cars aren't made to do that, and they get uncomfortable very quickly if i drive like i do alone.

2. sometimes i talk to the passenger and am less involved in driving, so i am slightly distracted. to stay safe, i have to drive slower to compensate, because my reaction times increase as i am not as focused on driving.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:28 AM

[QUOTE=Saki GT,Jul 19 2008, 09:24 AM] I do, because my passengers don't seem to know the difference between assertive driving and aggressive driving.

I also drive slow when people follow me, because they can't seem to go more than 35 mph, even in a 45 mph.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:49 PM

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

Well, I guess I am lucky.. my girl will ask me if there's something wrong with me if I drive slow. At first she was all scared, but now she gets bored if I don't drive assertively.

I agree with ACE123. If I am having a converstation, I slow down because I am not as focused, specially if the convo is good. Otherwise, I drive like a madman! hehe.

Just for fun, last night I had a girl that asked me to push the S, and I was going around 57-60mph in one of those 25mph exits.. she screamed to the top of her lungs
Old 07-19-2008, 03:54 PM

I drive about the same with a passenger...so long as we aren't engaged in conversation, then I let up a bit.

I at least have the decency to say "Hold on" when a curve is coming up.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:45 PM

I definitely do.

Most of my passengers arent car enthusiasts so they wont appreciate what the car is capable of as much as I would.

...now if theyre a passenger on a track day, well thats a different story
Old 07-19-2008, 05:55 PM

Absolutely.

One, no matter how aggressive I drive, I will not gamble with another persons life. *not that I drive like an butthead; just because*

Two, my car is pretty loud so I try to keep it under 4k.

and

Three, added weight. What's the point of trying to go fast, "they" make you slower. *just don't tell the girls that*
Old 07-19-2008, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by MitsukillinS2K,Jul 19 2008, 07:54 AM
mine will get a little upset if I start driving like a retard
mine mostly gets upset/scared cause she doesnt drive, and doesnt really know how to tell a driver is pushing the limits of the car. for example, one night, taking a little cruise with the top down (stargazing points ftw), as i was getting back on the freeway (uphill on ramp), i took 1st and 2nd all the way to redline, and went to about 7.5k in 3rd. after i did that, she didnt say anything at all, and kept her hand firmly latched to the door handle. once we got home, she told me it felt like her seat got sucked up into her bum, lol. i was quite amused.

i dont slow down just for her comfort, but also for her safety. if i were to wreck the car with just me in it (god forbid), thats something you almost have to prepare for while driving spirited. everybody makes mistakes, some will bite you in the ass. if i were to do the same with her in the car, and she got hurt, it would crush me. wouldnt be able to handle it.

however, today, my uncle saw my car for the first time, and instantly started begging me to let him drive it. I dont let people drive my cars (i can be stingy) i dont even feel comfortalbe letting my mechanic drive the car sometimes. my uncle did end up getting to drive the car, cause him, his wife, and my mother were all starting to bitch at me for being "rude", and i wanted to avoid the confrontation at my brothers birthday party.

first thing he said when he got in was that he was a bit rusty with a stick shift. rusty was an understatement, although, he didnt stall it out. he took it easy, and didnt upset me too much. once he got back in the lot to turn around, i convinced him to let me show him what the car would do (couldnt stand to let him drive it any longer). we got out on the access road, and i trommped on it in 1st. should heard him squeal!!!! im just glad he didnt piss is pants on my seats.

james

Quick Reply: Do you drive slower when you have a passenger?