S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

do u have a hardtop? do u have wind noise?

Old 06-06-2001, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do u have a hardtop? do u have wind noise?

ok, i finally got my hardtop installed for $420. i know, i know, the dealer ripped me off. they said thatit took them six hours and that it wasn't easy. I would have done it myself, but the box that it came in was too big and i didn't have time.

anyway,

the car is much quieter than before and i love the looks. but there is wind noise coming from both sides--near the seatbelt areas. the installation seems pretty good, and no water leaks in. do you have wind noise problem too? is this normal for a hardtop?
Old 06-06-2001, 01:47 AM
jim

While wind noise is not part of the hard top package, it seems to be very difficult to get the thing sitting just right so you don't have any. Adjustments can be made, but one must then drive, adjust, drive, adjust etc. Not many garages will do that!

I got my dealer to finally adjust the darn thing so I could get it on & off, which I thought was a bargain! It was impossible to remove when I first bought the car (the hard top came with the car). Then, it was impossible to put back on. The dealer sent someone to me twice to try to sort it out, as I wasn't able to "carry it in to them", as such, as it wouldn't go back on.

They then took the car for about 3 hrs. & sorted it out. Goes on/off beautifully now, but there is wind noise just behind my head...driver's side only. I just put up with it!
The noise was in the same spot BEFORE they did the final adjust job, also.

p.s. the motor REALLY sounds LOUD with a hard top on! However, I'm topless now, until the rains return sometime in late fall!
Old 06-06-2001, 02:11 AM

Why bother to have a hardtop??? If you buy a soft top car are you killing the whole reason of having the wind in the hair bit with having a hard top put on!
Old 06-06-2001, 03:46 AM

Jim, I have a question. Does the rain in Spain stay mainly in the plain?
Old 06-06-2001, 04:24 AM

When I was installing the H/T, I kept shifting the top location till it met the install dimensions listed. Once satisfied with the installed location, I test drove the car listening for wind noises and found none. Then I did the water test to make sure there were no leaks before puting on the inside cover panels. I did notice when puting up the windows that the windows slow down toward the top position due to friction against the rubber top seals which, makes for for a quiet dry installation.
My bet is that your dealer didn't road test the car for wind noise and maybe only did the water test.
Old 06-06-2001, 05:58 AM

Bullet S2K:. If you read the install instructions which are posted at the HandA Accessories website, you'll see that if you get leaks or wind noise, then the window mechanism has to be adjusted. I'll bet the dealer mechanic hasn't even touched that - that's why you have the noise. I was lucky; mine didn't need any adjustment, and it's so quiet in the cabin now. The noise of the engine is very noticeable, but I can't hear the exhaust at all. I've taken the top off now, and it'll stay that way until winter rolls around again.
Old 06-06-2001, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by charles_mo
Why bother to have a hardtop???
I think the hardtops make the S2K look dead friggin' sexy... well, I think that about the S2K anyways.
Old 06-06-2001, 08:18 AM
jim

Ivs2k asked if the Rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain!
Madrid, or Castille, sits on a large plain...being 2000 ft. above sea level. To the North are skiing mountains with good snow in the winter. We get below freezing weather all winter, and this year it rained from October to April!!!

Northern Spain usually gets most of the rain, though. Car subject? With so much rain a hardtop is a good idea,
although it is now stored away.

Madrid, btw, is a lovely city with some 5 million people a just a few S2000's! :>
Old 06-06-2001, 08:30 AM

Old 06-06-2001, 09:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by charles_mo
Why bother to have a hardtop??? If you buy a soft top car are you killing the whole reason of having the wind in the hair bit with having a hard top put on!
There are whole threads about this topic. Many didn't buy this car because it's a convertable, the rag top was just a bonus.
As for wind noise, I do get a bit on driver's side but it's not bad so I just leave it. In my case the fix is not complicated but I just can't be bothered. Besides, the hardtop is off till the snow flies again and in winter, with the heater fan going, can't hear the wind noise anyway.

Quick Reply: do u have a hardtop? do u have wind noise?