S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Do dealers have to cut the carpet?

Old 02-26-2001, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry in advance if this has been discussed before, but I was just talking with my dealer, and he says he has to cut the carpet in order to install the floormats. Fine, I said, don't install the floormats. He says that he's not allowed to sell the car without them installed for legal reasons pertaining to the mats sliding forward and interfering with the gas and brake pedals.

Has anyone bought an S2000 without the mats installed and/or without having the carpet cut?
Old 02-26-2001, 10:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Tell him to refund the cost of the mats. DO NOT cut the
carpet. Then you can buy a set of Muz's one-piece mats.
Old 02-26-2001, 10:19 AM

I have a set on order. At any rate, the dealer says that he can't sell it to me without cutting the carpet, and that's enough to make me go find another S2000.
Old 02-26-2001, 10:19 AM

My carpet was cut and my mats were in the trunk; however, I got my car from a leasing company. I would strongly suggest getting a set of three-piece mats from either HMS Motorsports or the one-piece Mats from MUZ.

These are far superior to the OEM mats and cover the frame hump where carpet wear will otherwise be excessive. Do a search on "three-piece mats" or "MUZ mat"s to find more information.
Old 02-26-2001, 10:35 AM

I thought the stock carpet was cut already. I'd have to look at mine. I instructed my dealer no to install them. They were in the trunk still in plastic when I picked her up. In fact they're still in plastic. Anyone want to buy a set of stock S2000 floormats? Yea right.
Old 02-26-2001, 10:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell him to refund the cost of the mats. DO NOT cut the carpet. Then you can buy a set of Muz's one-piece mats.
Floor mats are standard equipment on 2001 models. I would guess that installing them is now part of the required PDI and the dealer isn't going to take off standard equipment and give a refund.

Also, the carpet is pre-cut at the factory. Only a small part of the corners are left for the dealer to cut. Most of the damage is there before the dealer even gets the car.

[Edited by KenS2K on 02-26-2001 at 01:12 PM]
Old 02-26-2001, 10:40 AM
Former Sponsor

The floor carpet doesn't come from Japan cut. This is a dealer installed option. Very badly installed in some cars.
Old 02-26-2001, 10:46 AM

My car was delivered with a cut in the carpeting to allow for the installation of the floor mat anchor. Go with the Muz mats - thet are of a higher quality, look better, fit better, and cover more area.
Old 02-26-2001, 10:48 AM

My S is a 2000 model.
I bought a set of official Honda floor mats online.

To install them, the official HOnda directions tell you to remove some of the side-door modeling and lift up the carpet to install the holding peg bracket.
There was a slot in the carpet for the peg to stick out of, that was cut at the factory... therefore no need for me to cut it.

IMO, the dealers are cheap and to save time, they just cut the carpet more to make the carpet slot big enough to shove the holding peg bracket through the hole (without properly removing the side molding and lifting the carpet).

I do not know if the 2001 models come with the necessary carpet slot, pre-cut.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-26-2001, 10:57 AM

Just so you know, yes, the carpet is cut at the factory, on every single S2K. The Honda floor mats include some small metal brackets which screw into the floor and hold the mats in place. If the dealer installs the mats, they will usually install these brackets since thats how Honda says to do it. I have the mats, the brackets, and the installation instructions. The answer is simple, have the dealer give you the floor mats and the brackets, quietly put them out of their misery since they are a POS, and install one of the full length aftermarket mats!

Quick Reply: Do dealers have to cut the carpet?