S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: If you were me what would you do?
Keep soft top, ditch the hard top
11.11%
keep hard top, ditch the soft top
30.56%
keep the hard top and soft top frame for now, ditch the soft top cover and install a new cover in the future using the hard top money
16.67%
do nothing, keep both
41.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

To ditch the soft top or not to ditch the soft top... that is the question.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NFRAP2
If your s2k was a 100% track car that you wanted to shave every possible pound from, I would say ditch the soft top and frame. You will not notice ~60 lbs weight loss in street driving. Personally I would sell the replica hard top and put the money towards a used OEM hard top, and replace the soft top at some point in the future.
Says the guy with a an OEM hardtop.

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Originally Posted by Jazzman' timestamp='1331500943' post='21498848
-sell the hardtop and buy a softop with the money
Exactly
And if you ever want another HT, get a used Honda one, they are sooooo much nicer

To both of those responses. The OEM top might be better in construction and rear viewing. But it Doesn't look better IMHO. Says the guy with A Mugen Rep.

And his question was should he ditch the soft top, not " Should I buy an OEM hard top?"

My soft top is brand new I've thought about ditching it and just going with the hard top, that's actually why I came into the thread to see what kind of answers he was gonna get. Instead he got directed to buy something else... not only that he didn't need, but didn't ask about.

Truly the hardtop discourages seat theft more than anything and random break-ins for radios and paraphernalia. If you can't use the soft and you don't plan on replacing it why ride around with a 60 lb. boat anchor?
Old 03-13-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with g0g3tt4, I just recently bought a OEM hardtop and took the softtop out, this past weekend. Selling my softtop now

After removing my softtop, my spare tire and my sub box. I noticed a difference.

Sent from Samsung - Skyrocket
Old 03-13-2012, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by g0g3tt4
Originally Posted by NFRAP2' timestamp='1331500080' post='21498818
If your s2k was a 100% track car that you wanted to shave every possible pound from, I would say ditch the soft top and frame. You will not notice ~60 lbs weight loss in street driving. Personally I would sell the replica hard top and put the money towards a used OEM hard top, and replace the soft top at some point in the future.
Says the guy with a an OEM hardtop.

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Originally Posted by Jazzman' timestamp='1331500943' post='21498848
-sell the hardtop and buy a softop with the money
Exactly
And if you ever want another HT, get a used Honda one, they are sooooo much nicer

To both of those responses. The OEM top might be better in construction and rear viewing. But it Doesn't look better IMHO. Says the guy with A Mugen Rep.

And his question was should he ditch the soft top, not " Should I buy an OEM hard top?"

My soft top is brand new I've thought about ditching it and just going with the hard top, that's actually why I came into the thread to see what kind of answers he was gonna get. Instead he got directed to buy something else... not only that he didn't need, but didn't ask about.

Truly the hardtop discourages seat theft more than anything and random break-ins for radios and paraphernalia. If you can't use the soft and you don't plan on replacing it why ride around with a 60 lb. boat anchor?
Yes, I would hope that people actually own or have owned what they would recommend. OEM hardtops are built better, fit better and appreciate in value unlike replicas. The looks are obviously a matter of opinion and personal preference, so there is no point in going into that. It never hurts to give other suggestions of what route to take, the OP will do as he wishes in the end.