S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Dissenting Opinion on the Voodoo Knob

Old 04-02-2001, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's been a lot of talk about The Knob lately. How stylish and cool it is, etc. For those of you not interested in doing a search, the Voodoo knob is a 2-inch sphere of alledged driving joy which comes either in a spun (same finish as the OEM shifter) or powdercoated (gloss) finish.

I admit it--I fell for the hype and bought one. Spun. It's been on the car nearly a week now. I hoped I'd get used to it, but I haven't.

I'm 6'1 and have spider fingers capable of palming a basketball easily. While this quality has aided me in many areas of personal fulfillment, it's made it difficult for me to like The Knob. I've got several complaints, but it all kinda boils down to one thing. The Knob is countersunk so deep that it barely pokes above the shifter boot--when I grip The Knob I also get a handful of boot leather. The only way I can grip it comfortably is when I pretend I'm about to throw a knuckleball. And that's an awkward, loose 3-fingered grasp. Second problem is, the throws are shorter, and all the crunches and gritches in the transmission seem to be amplified into this big honking ball of 6061 aluminum. The last thing I want to feel is MORE 2-3 gritch.

I'm giving it some more time--maybe I'll change my opinion. But my original theorem so far holds--the engineers designed it that way for a reason. I prefer the stock knob.

I'm jumping off the bandwagon.
Old 04-02-2001, 06:44 PM
Bieg

IMHO I prefer the shape of the stock knob. It lends itself to holding it in a pistol grip fashion which is more natural for the position your arm is in when in the S2000.

The shifter is very similar to the vintage 60s F-1 cars. Check out the shifters in the GREAT movie "Gran Prix". I believe the CART shifters are this style also.
Old 04-02-2001, 06:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What we really need is a good set of "paddle shifters" like the F-1 cars....how about it Mingster?
Old 04-02-2001, 06:52 PM
RRO

As they say...one size does not fit all! For the same reason it may be uncomfortable for some is the reason it may be comfortable for others. I just installed my voodoo pearl and have been enjoying shifting even more. However I am 5'7" with small hands. I love Voodoo Bob's knob.
Old 04-02-2001, 06:59 PM

I'm 6'3" and also have large hands. I just received my spun Voodoo knob, but haven't experienced the problem that you describe. I am still getting used to shifting "over the top" instead of putting my hand on the side of the shifter, but I haven't touched the leather once. Maybe you are used to palming the knob, instead of shifting with your fingers?

I am going to take another few days to get accustomed to this knob, then I intend to buy the titanium version.

I do have a slight complaint: the spun texture is rough. The ridges of my fingerprints stick in the grooves of the knob's texture.
Old 04-02-2001, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my pearl Voodoo knob and love it! It's off the scale in terms of bang for the buck, and the shorter throws make the shifter feel like a toggle switch. An unexpected additional benefit is that the pearl knob's clearcoat seems to insulate the aluminum so it's not nearly as cold or hot as the stock knob.
Old 04-02-2001, 07:26 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Bieg - is there anything that honda didn't make perfectly for you?

Scot

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bieg
[B]IMHO I prefer the shape of the stock knob.
Old 04-02-2001, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by Utah S2K
What we really need is a good set of "paddle shifters" like the F-1 cars....how about it Mingster?
I would pay dearly for paddle shifters for my S2k. Maybe they will be available on future models.
Old 04-02-2001, 11:03 PM

I have the VooDoo Ti knob and was also bothered by getting a handful of shift boot at first. I then installed Rick's leather boot and at that time pushed the boot down around the base of the shifter. I may also have adjusted my grip subconsciously but i no longer feel this is a problem. I do like the shorter throw.

[grey]--------------------------o0o---------------------------[/grey]

[grey]2000 S2000 - 1998 VFR800 - 2000 Atos[/grey]
Old 04-02-2001, 11:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

George:

I, too, have very long fingers, and I am not comfortable with the shape and grip method necessary for using the Voodoo. I find that the feel of palming the stock shift knob from the right side is much easier for me and I'm not overlapping my fingers into my palm when my hand is on the shifter to the side.

Just my $.02!

Quick Reply: Dissenting Opinion on the Voodoo Knob