S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Disassembled stock and new S2000 key, pictures

Old 07-29-2001, 05:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update: the key is finished and it works: See my additional text and photos below.

Looking for S2000 things to do on my vacation, the key was the perfect project.

As I indicated in my post last night, taking the logo part of the S2000 key off is a snap
Old 07-29-2001, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick,

It's MUCH easier to change to the Mugen ECU Plus you get the performance gains too!

Just Joking.
Old 07-29-2001, 01:41 PM

hi rick,
wouldn't a sharp razor take out the 1/8th difference if shaved from both sides of the plastic immobilizer housing? another option would be to pry the whole immobilizer out of the housing.

btw, you do need a manicure. lol j/k.
Old 07-29-2001, 01:58 PM
Former Sponsor

ricosuave,

That's just what I was thinking. Obsessive-compulsive person that I am, I went out and got the tools to do the job and had the key cut copied from my stock key. I haven't experimented yet to see how the position of the immobilizer affects whether the car will start, but I'll get to it within the next 24 hours, when I hope to have this problem solved.
Old 07-29-2001, 03:03 PM

Rick,

You need to ask yourself, "Am I really on vacation?"

Relax! Go to the beach, have a Corona and sleep!

My Father, when "on vacation" on Cape Cod, a beautiful place, used to spend at least three days working on his car. The guy owned three garages, worked 18 hours a day, and would take most of his tools with him on vacation!

John
Old 07-29-2001, 04:53 PM

Rick,

How about a smaller remote? Or better yet, integrate the remote and the key?

The remote is bigger than all the rest of the keys I carry put together. I've considered pitching it and just using the key to unlock the doors the old fashioned way!

Now that I've wandered off onto the remote, any idea why the car beeps sometimes when I open the driver's door after I've unlocked with the remote and sometimes not?
Old 07-29-2001, 05:45 PM
Former Sponsor

fastoy,

I'm the wrong guy for a remote in the key, cause I think it would be a large key. I gave up my remote for the Alpine when I put in the Alpine security system.

Anyway, without the immoblizer in the key, the car just keeps turning over with no ignition.
Old 07-29-2001, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by fastoy
Now that I've wandered off onto the remote, any idea why the car beeps sometimes when I open the driver's door after I've unlocked with the remote and sometimes not?
If you open the door right away, the car beeps because the lights are still on from pushing the remote unlock. Its the same circuit that makes the car beep when you open the door with the headlights on.
Old 07-29-2001, 06:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I couldn't imagine that the exact location of the immobilizer would be critical. It looks like the system is checking for the circuit not the location of the circuit (any minor difference in location could change the resistance by more than a few microOhms).
Old 07-29-2001, 10:58 PM

Rick,

now that you've disassembled your stock key, you can do all the experimentation you want with regards to immobilizer chip location. Just use you de-chipped key in the ignition, and try holding the chip at varying distances. Inquiring minds want to know...

Ted

Quick Reply: Disassembled stock and new S2000 key, pictures